styks

Aspie Abilities ... What's your's ?

I think with pictures like other people with aspergers can and even NTs, both moving and still images. But my talent is creating 3d environments inside my mind.

I can picture a new landscape like anyone in seconds, as a series of pictures and memories of things I've seen in real life or films, but it isn't concrete, it changes. It is just random images and movies creating a sense of an environment.

I am a good 3d modeler on computer, because I can see in my mind.

The first time I saw a demonstration of 3d modeling on TV years ago. I thought it was brilliant. Being able to make a model and then look at it from any point of view.

My point being I could see this clip in my mind ... The actual rotation.

I could always rotate things already in my mind, like simple objects, but whenever I think of magical lands or worlds they were always changing, they never stayed the same. Even now my main visual thinking is just images, though I have upgraded it!

Studying the 2d images in my mind, the depth and main features allows me to place myself in small environments that don't change. They're static 3d environments that I can turn in any direction and know what's behind me and get an accurate view of what's all around me. It isn't a natural skill, my main thoughts are 2d but can feel like 3d ... My practiced talent is 3d, I literally step inside my thoughts :)

Amazing! I can't do anything like this. I think it might be a more male trait, but I'm very good with two dimensional maps. I can read them for hours like books, and visualise the terrain. I have a quite a collection of them - large scale ones too - both of Britain and parts of Europe. I like old maps too, and I'm fascinated by the origins of place-names, farm-names, field & river names, etc. There's a kind of poetry in them. When I was small I'd spend hours drawing maps of imaginary places. I still think a lot of imaginary places and times - idyllic Arcadias and Golden Ages.....

Some females can see in pictures too, Temple Grandin being the only example I can give. I've read about her and she says she knows that loads of people might be able to. And my creating my 'very small' land in my mind isn't really a trait as such, all my thoughts are 2d pictures, the 3d land is a trick I've learnt consciously and I had to put a lot of concentration into creating it, checking it works from different view points, forcing it to stick in my mind without changing. It possibly is still 2d thinking, but I've created a collection of views, like the Modeling programs to make it feel like I can look around. But I would love to be able to visualise an entire map as land.

I don't think I could though, it would probably melt my brain even trying. I like looking at Google map and can visualise looking at that and maps in my mind, but it's like looking at it over someone's shoulder, a low resolution image, the detail is photo-realistic but not even close to accurate, I don't have a photographic ability for text or very small things unless I studied them road by road. But map reading does interest me, just for learning and I can definitely see the interest in old maps, they were a lot more visually appealing —they should include more artwork in modern maps. I'd love to have some really, really old maps.

I seem to be the only one without a special talent. :( Does that make my diagnosis invalid?

Not at all, Aeolienne. A special talent needn't be the same as a special interest. :) I may have lots of special interests, but with most of them my talent is pretty average.

@Unusual - I dislike modern OS maps. They seem impersonal. They lack the aesthetic appeal of those from the 1960s and earlier. Even the fonts used are boring. To really enjoy an OS map, it must be an older version, before the advent of the motorway age. I find those awful blue scars across the maps extremely irritating - they jar my senses, almost as much as when I see them cutting across the countryside. The traditional paths of animals used over countless centuries obliterated in the dubious name of 'progress'!

This country seems to worship the car and speed, and has more than its fair share of motorways. I know of countries not that far away that still don't have motorways. Their maps are easier on the eye. Yes, I know I'm 'too' sensitive for this mad world, but I can't help it.

Edited by Mihaela

Hmm, I suppose my attention to detail could be counted as an aspie trait. Maybe my questioning nature, too, although this isn't always a good thing.

For me it has to be memory I can remember the content of books I read as a child page for page every single word. What someone was wearing on a particular day in reality or a movie, all the cars I passed on a journey colours and registrations, clean or dirty. Most days I try to shut it all off as it's too much.

@mihaele I totally agree, modern maps are just about information now, aesthetics are nonexistent and it shouldn't be, that could possibly stop other people becoming interested ... there's just nothing visually interesting.

@Laddo I question almost everything ... even my posts.

@Pari Do you also remember what people say or is it just visual?

I seem to be the only one without a special talent. :( Does that make my diagnosis invalid?

Of course not, I agree with Mihaela it's the interests that are better than talent, you can't develop any talent without interests :)

@Pari Do you also remember what people say or is it just visual?

Conversations from years back I can remember word for word. No matter how hard I try to shut it all out it's impossible.

I have around 1500 cd's at home and if anyone asks me to borrow something I can tell them exactly where it's positioned on the shelf, same with books.

Nothing is listed alphabetically just placed where I put them at the time back when.

Holy moly, some of the abilities on here are absolutely incredible! I wish I had a memory like some of you.

I think with pictures like other people with aspergers can and even NTs, both moving and still images. But my talent is creating 3d environments inside my mind.

I can do this too. I can see visualise 3D rooms or landscapes in my mind with a fair amount of detail if I try hard enough. I always assumed that it was something nearly everyone can do but by the sound of things it's quite a special ability. Just out of curiosity, do you dream a lot UnusualPatronus? I dream pretty much every time I go to sleep, even if it's only for a minute or so, and most of the time my dreams are vivid and have incredibly detailed environments.

I'd happily swap mine for something less. The only time it was really useful was on the one occasion I gave evidence in court against a car thief.

I've read quite a bit about eidetic memory, and it forces us to ask questions about how much we really know about the brain and consciousness, but I've never come across anyone who has it until now. I can well understand why it can get in the way of your life. I'm sure I'd rather be the way I am than in your shoes, although I agree your memory must very useful at times. People tell me I have an extraordinary memory for facts and knowledge but my day-to-day memory isn't all that good. I often remember my childhood days better than I remember what I did yesterday, and I'm always misplacing things. I'm used to it though, and only see it as minor nuisance. I suppose I'm a typical absent-minded professor type! :D

Remember looking up a telephone directory for someone's number? All of the numbers I read until I found the right one remain in my memory to this day and by now a lot if will be useless information. As you say some of it is useful, and some not so much.

Exactly Mihaela, we really know very little. The mind remembers ... though it manages not to overwhelm us. It stores it away.

A memory like yours Pari is definitely one that people covet. But I think they covet it because they don't understand how tormenting it can be, neither do I nor would I pretend I do. My thoughts spiral, but I have a sense of bringing them back in line.

You simply remember. Remembering too much ... everything, I can only understand in the most basic sense how tiring that could be.

But on a positive note, you have an extremely powerful mind, it is one that those who don't understand it, revere it. Almost akin to a superpower. I always try to steer my thoughts in a positive direction ... and I do not mean to tell you to do the same.

But I do think there is always a positive side to everything, though you can't ever forget or ignore the negatives, even more so in your case.

You are unique, you do have a powerful mind ... I am not saying you should accept it, that would be extremely ignorant of me. Though I do think you should explore it, share and help those of us who are clueless to understand what it's like, not what you can do, those are your memories, but your thoughts, they're different, they're you:)

My mind often shows me things over and over again ... I am lucky to be able to ignore them

Holy moly, some of the abilities on here are absolutely incredible! I wish I had a memory like some of you.

I can do this too. I can see visualise 3D rooms or landscapes in my mind with a fair amount of detail if I try hard enough. I always assumed that it was something nearly everyone can do but by the sound of things it's quite a special ability. Just out of curiosity, do you dream a lot UnusualPatronus? I dream pretty much every time I go to sleep, even if it's only for a minute or so, and most of the time my dreams are vivid and have incredibly detailed environments.

Yes, my dreams are extremely vivid, so much so that even though they aren't lucid I notice when I wake, how the rooms changed, like a little room, but you turn and realise it's a big hall, then you're outside.

Of course not, I agree with Mihaela it's the interests that are better than talent, you can't develop any talent without interests :)

Except my interests have yet to develop into employable talents.

I've just updated myself on the latest replies to this thread.

how cool.

I know my original contribution was a bit deep and dark,

but I've found reassurance and comfort, in a lot that's been said here after that,

in particular in regard to memory function. I've always found it very uncomfortable discussing such stuff with folks about that particular subject.

usually when I do other people always predictably come up with the standard comment "what you think your better than us?" etc.

I am not sure I can say I'm very good with 3 dimensional visualisations and re- creating it in CAD/ gaming engine scenarios. I've always been to busy to go down to that depth (even though I'm very interested in that skill set. very interested and admire people who can :-)

I'm just saying when it comes to other memory stuff, I do find that is a curse for me.

and it often manifests itself in such weird ways.

for example,

if it's in reality, in the flesh with real "off line" people, I can remember everything anyone ever said to me ever. i.e. where we were. what they said, the context. everything :-(

it's not something I can control. it just happens.

I can meet someone I haven't seen in a month/ six months ago/ a year/ 2 years/ 5/ 10/ 20 years. etc.

when I do, I can remember everything. it's a curse.

until recently I even found myself picking up exactly where they left off conversation wise, even if it was 20 years ago :-(

and something I have noticed over time, is that mostly people prefer not to not to have me remember.

fortunately now i'm getting older, i'm getting a bit more wise, and I've learnt it's best to not say anything.

but in general I hate my memory.

from what I've observed most folks can't even remember what they had for breakfast. and they all do socially better than me, so i'm learning to supress my memory to try and be like them.

or maybe more importantly, what they do is "the past is the past." forget it and move on?

I get that. but I envy them, that their minds can really actually do that.

really actually not remember!

(for them it is not they chose not too.. they really actually don't remember what they did?)

but mine through some biological fault, can.)

all the best.

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

Very interesting, Dotmars. I can't imagine what it can be like to have a memory like that. My memory seems pretty boring by comparison! But I'm lucky in that my memory doesn't get in the way of my life, although short-term forgetfulness does. I remember all the intellectual stuff, and my childhood, but my mind's too busy to remember the practical day-to-day things.

"Except my interests have yet to develop into employable talents". I know the feeling well, Aeolienne! :D

I suppose I could have gone in that direction though, for I do have such talents. I tried it once, and failed. It's the social aspects of employability that I can't handle, and nor do I want to. Although intellectually inclined, the narrow confines of academia and its social whirl would suffocate me like a fish out of water. Also I've no interest in making money whatever. I've never even sold anything in my life. I probably score zero on the materialism scale - if there is such a thing! So lacking this incentive explains why I've never been in paid work since 1976 - but I've kept very busy and never been bored. Nor have I ever claimed benefits, for I lived of 'pocket money' given by my parents.

hi again michaela,

re: the social aspects of employment, i concur that is the most difficult part for me (and i imagine many of us also?)

i always tried my best back in those days when i used to work for others,

but i always failed re: the social aspect of it all.

(i used to invent fake holidays i was going on, or domestic crises just to avoid having to go to work "parties" lol

or i'd turn up at such things, make sure everyone had everything they wanted, and then invent a fake business crises so i could just go back to my office.

thank god i don't have to do stuff like that anymore.

i'm happier now.

it's not that i don't like people, or don't enjoy the concept of socializing. it's just i know i'm no good at it, and i know i'll inevitably say or do something wrong, and upset people.

these days i have a colleague who i send to all that sort of thing on my behalf.

she is socially fantastic. i'm envious of her. She's the sort who can just walk into a room and everyone runs over to want to be with her.

actually thinking about it, even she doesn't like hanging out with me except for business related meetings. haha

regards

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

Not deliberately downplaying my talents, but my skills with 3d modelling are unique, I use the software building outside of its limitations. Sounds good, but it isn't transferable skills. Industry standards are exacting, and my build-on-the-fly method possibly won't be accepted by any company no matter how good my models are.

I would probably drive them crazy. Though I'm trying to get in and considering formal education.

I find that I seem to be picking up guitar quite rapidly (although it's not for me to say). I've been playing for just over a week and can play about a half of a full song already. I also seem to have some great patience; some people have noted it before. There are some things I'm not sure of, such as that I believe I have quite good hearing and can pick out minor details, but perhaps not too much from the norm. I could also tell when the television was on in the dining room because I could sense the static. Again, perhaps normal people could do that too.

My biggest negative is that I have pretty severe social anxiety, which I feel may derive from my Aspergers but may just be natural or environmentally formed. I also don't have great elocution skills; I slur, leave rather big pauses between one thing and another, speak too quietly, and sometimes merely can't think of what I'm supposed to say (even at times that I've thought it through tenfold already). I feel like I may also have a skewed perception of myself, since people have mentioned that I look alright before and don't look overweight, but maybe they're just being nice...

Sorry for going so negative on that second half. There are a lot of things I dislike about myself and just have to vent all the time. :unsure:

I remember very clearly those miserable years at school struggling with undiagnosed AS, it was another 10 years before I finally realised what had happened. But one thing I have learned. AS has great advantages in the scientific and technical fields especially as you get older. If I had my time over again, would I trade my technical abilities for popularity as a teen and young adult ? The answer is no, and I become more certain of this as the years pass.

My technical consultancy business has turned out to be more successful than I ever thought possible - to the point where I am employing an assistant for some of the work. It is strange, the so-called big bad unfriendly world has turned out to be a far more welcoming place than I thought, and much more so than the educational system ever was.

And business success has its perks. To paraphrase the song, the Lord no longer needs to buy me a Mercedes Benz.

Congratulations, dm2010 !

But one thing I have learned. AS has great advantages in the scientific and technical fields especially as you get older. If I had my time over again, would I trade my technical abilities for popularity as a teen and young adult ? The answer is no, and I become more certain of this as the years pass.

Same here, a definite no! I too have technical abilities and agree about those great advantages of AS, but being polymathic has kept me from following a career based upon a particular interest. In theory, I'm sure I could have done well in such a career, but nobody knew at the time that I had Asperger's. Even so, I don't regret for a moment the meandering paths I have taken in life.

I remember very clearly those miserable years at school struggling with undiagnosed AS, it was another 10 years before I finally realised what had happened. But one thing I have learned. AS has great advantages in the scientific and technical fields especially as you get older.

I'm still waiting to find out what these "advantages in the the scientific and technical fields" are in my case. Maybe I was misdiagnosed.

Is it ok to resurrect an old thread?

I have always been very musical. I have perfect pitch and whilst I really struggle to read music I can play pretty well by ear. I play guitar, organ,piano, accordion, brass, ukulele. I can get a tune out of most instruments. I always wanted to play in a band but my social anxiety and not knowing anyone else who played put paid to that.

My other Aspie fixation is cars. For some reason I have memorised ridiculously specific bits of information about classic cars, I also like working on them, I'm restoring an old '70s car at the moment.

I'm a very fast reader. I will get though a 500 page novel in 2 days, fitting in reading between work and sleep.