kazz43

does aspergers run in families?

I have recently returned to the forum, to learn more about Asperger's syndrome; my brother has been recently given a diagnosis and the mental health team who care for him [he lives in supported housing] believe he has had it most of his life. I think he is relieved that he knows what he is dealing with and he receives a lot of support both from his case worker and the mental health team; he's very lucky and I am glad he is being looked after. I am concerned that I may have asperger traits, does it run in families? I was always a bit of a misfit at school; my reports came back with consistent comments of 'has problems with comprehension' and 'could apply herself more'. I do get obsessive about things, i do suffer from Ocd and have done so since childhood; i do tend to collect things and i do hoard; I do like a routine and i find one to one conversations a bit hard, having said that; i do hold down a job and i do understand jokes and things like that. i did the RDOS aspie quiz and i got a score of 118 and it said i had both aspie and neurotypical traits; does this mean i have aspergers?

i know my gp will just put it down to anxiety so i am reluctant to broach it with her.

there are just things i notice about myself and how i react to others at times that dont seem to fall into the mainstream

Hi kazz43,

First thing I would say is that if your brother has a dx of AS, then he was born with it so will have had it ALL his life, not for most of it. As for you feeling you have traits too, I think we could all say we have traits to varying degrees. The issue is whether those traits are strong enough and debilitating enough to cause serious problems in your life and hold you back. I think a lot of people who go about their lives perfectly happily, gaining friends, partners and holding down jobs could say they have 'traits' in various ways, but they manage okay so it isn't a problem, we're all different at the end of the day. I'm not sure what this proves really, but if you generally have managed okay in life and there aren't particular issues that cause you serious problems in your life, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Of course, that's your own decision and only you know how 'seriously' affected you think you are by your 'traits', we have have differing issues at the end of the day, wouldn't be human otherwise.

~ Mel ~

thanks mel, i'm quite happy with my life as it goes and I am quite happy in my own skin.. i dont see myself having massive problems, my biggest obstacle to date has been my OCD so i wouldn't want anything else to deal with!!

as you say it's my decision, perhaps i dont have AS however it was just a few of the traits that i felt i could identify with and my brother getting the diagnosis that made me think twice, but thanks for the post, most appreciated :D

Edited by kazz43

when i say i wouldnt broach it with my gp, i feel i would feel silly for even broaching it to be honest, and again,thinking about it, its probably part of the anxiety i get from time to time that makes me worry about it

however i would like to learn more about it for my brother's sake so i know how to support him