newbie101

Gingerism

Hi,

My post is about gingerism (not really about Asberger's so bear with me)

The UK is infamous for gingerism (prejudice against gingers).

People assume that ginger men are feminine and are pushovers

I myself am slightly ginger, and when I dyed my hair brown/black for a month people's attitudes towards me changed considerably. I was exactly the same person I was before just with a different hair colour. Now because people can't openly insult you in the workplace, I think that gingerism comes in more subtle forms. I myself have not been bullied in the workplace. Is it worth dying my hair brown in the long term to avoid potential problems?

There's a reason why men at the top all look the same!

To he honest, this is entirely up to you. If you wish to dye your hair, remember it has to be done very regularly because the roots will show as your hair grows......so are you prepared for that? Also in my experience some men who dye their hair don't always suit it too well.......it seems to be more obvious if a man dyes his hair than a woman......I have no idea why?

I would like to say you should be proud of who you are, to me there is nothing wrong with ginger hair......I was a born red head, but it has darkened with age! But at the same time I understand your concerns, so you should do whatever makes you happy, but if you do choose to go brown, do so with care.

Good luck! :-)

My goodness, I know what you mean about gingerism! My son is ginger (actually dark ginger) and has been teased in a good-natured way about this in the past. I am surprised though that adults would bully people about it although you have done a cool experiment to find out about it. Reminds me of a book we had to read when I was a teen called "Black Like Me" by John Howard Griffin. Personally I find it very attractive. :-)

what a cool subject.

I could ramble on for hours about ginger prejudice (being ginger myself)

some love us, some hate us. etc. I'd end up going around in circles.

but keeping in the light hearted context of this thread... all I can say is I think that those that pick on us gingers...

would just find someone other group to pick on if they didn't have gingers to pick on.

it's something inside of them? that makes them need to have a social group scape goat?

if it wasn't for us red heads, they'd be being mean to some other group.

in short, their mean comments and prejudices say more about them than ginger people :-)

I wish I still had my lovely full head of ginger hair!

alas being middle aged as I am now, it's all gone :-( I am bald :-)

I think juliap says just about what I would have said if im honest. Being who you want to be is the most important thing in life in my opinion. Be happy do what you feel rights.