chopper

Problems with talking

My son is 16 and was diagnosed on the spectrum a couple of years ago. He is very intelligent but has a problem talking to people he doesn't know, particularly in stressful situations such as interviews. We are worried how this will affect him as he is getting to the age when he will need to go to interviews for university and jobs.

We would love to hear from anyone who has experience of a similar situation,

I had suggested to me to make social story against role playing a practice an interview of questions may come up! and what kind of social cues are needed ,acceptable! ? this may give him the confidence he needs to know what to kind of expect!

XXKLX

I had suggested to me to make social story against role playing a practice an interview of questions may come up! and what kind of social cues are needed ,acceptable! ? this may give him the confidence he needs to know what to kind of expect!

XXKLX

Thanks for the reply but I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

My son is the same.......I would suggest lots of practice! Maybe take a look on the Internet and print out some typical interview questions and to role play the scenario out with people he is comfortable with? Keep him practising until he no longer needs to look at the print out and can answer the questions comfortably.

He will probably never be entirely comfortable talking to people he doesn't know, but they would expect him to be nervous. Suggest places on people's faces he is comfortable looking at to give the impression of eye contact. When you go out with him, start trying to get him asking for things in restaurants, shops, buses etc, so he can slowly leatn how to cope.........remember to take it slow and to talk it through with him 1st, so he knows what to say, what they may say and anything he will need to reply to.

I hope this helps and is no way meant to dictate, merely suggestions. Good. Luck! :-)

My son is the same.......I would suggest lots of practice! Maybe take a look on the Internet and print out some typical interview questions and to role play the scenario out with people he is comfortable with? Keep him practising until he no longer needs to look at the print out and can answer the questions comfortably.

He will probably never be entirely comfortable talking to people he doesn't know, but they would expect him to be nervous. Suggest places on people's faces he is comfortable looking at to give the impression of eye contact. When you go out with him, start trying to get him asking for things in restaurants, shops, buses etc, so he can slowly leatn how to cope.........remember to take it slow and to talk it through with him 1st, so he knows what to say, what they may say and anything he will need to reply to.

I hope this helps and is no way meant to dictate, merely suggestions. Good. Luck! :-)

Thanks very much for the advice. Tom is comfortable ordering food in restaurants but not talking to other people, even his family.