Akunin

Hello again.

Hey.

I joined the forum a few years ago now, but wasn't an overly active member. At the time it had just come to light I could possibly have AS and we were going through the process of getting a diagnosis. After nearly 2 years of waiting and being referred back and forth, I finally have an appointment for an assessment this coming Saturday (8th March) I am extremely nervous about the whole process, as I am not 100% sure what to expect and am not very good in new/unknown situations.

Anyway, nice to meet you all ^_^

Tsukimi.

My first post, with a little more info about me.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/28774-shy-hello/#entry333222

Hello and welcome back

It is understandable to be nervous, as my diagnosis was nearly 20 years ago and the diagnosis system has changed, all i can offer you is this link to the NAS website.

http://www.autism.org.uk/About-autism/All-about-diagnosis/Diagnosis-information-for-adults.aspx

Hi :)

Hi, Paige :)

Hello and welcome back

It is understandable to be nervous, as my diagnosis was nearly 20 years ago and the diagnosis system has changed, all i can offer you is this link to the NAS website.

http://www.autism.org.uk/About-autism/All-about-diagnosis/Diagnosis-information-for-adults.aspx

Thank you for the link.

I have now had my first appointment and will have my second this Saturday. I think I am getting more worried now due to getting closer to the result because if I don't have AS or any form of ASD I'll be back to square one with why I am the way I am. It is a very stressful process and I really hope it is going to shed some light on my situation.

How did your 2nd assessment go? I mean what are the results. Feel free to ask questions no matter what the results, this forum is here for you.

It didn't start out very well as the consultant I was seeing had to pop out for a family emergency, he said he would be 5 minutes but took well over 20 and I began to get quite agitated.

He asked a lot of questions (some that were really hard to answer) he has also taken my school reports, statements from my family and lots of information from the interviews and told me he thinks it is very likely I am on the ASD spectrum, but he will take all the information home to go over it and will let me know the results in about 4 weeks time. So onto more waiting which is really quite frustrating, especially as I have heard that most people get the results straight away.

Thanks Trekster :)

Sounds like he doesn't really understand the ASD problem of uncertainty can be frightening for you.

Great you have a "sounds most likely" response, I was given a leaflet sent on my way and left for a

café. I sat with my gran (parents have always rejected me due to my autism) and underlined parts

that applied to me in the leaflet. Got a diagnosis through the post and that was it. Even today no post

diagnostic counselling or support and had to fight to get the support I now get. But my story is just that

*my* story from the early 90s.

It did really worry me that he didn't seem to understand, as it makes me doubt how well he does his job.

It has now been over 4 weeks and still no letter, I am starting to get quite annoyed with him now.

He told me I could see him post-diagnosis if I needed anyone to talk to, but I know I wouldn't as I don't trust him now.

Have you tried ringing up to chase him for the diagnosis? You have waited a reasonable length of time. If no luck chasing him try your GP.

Hi Trekster.

I have now had my diagnosis, my mom did try to call and couldn't get through but managed to get a response through email, it seems there was a backlog and he had some annual leave so my results were delayed in the end by 2 weeks.

He has diagnosed me with ASD, but not with much information after that regarding the ASD. I would like to know more as I feel the more I know, the better I can start to understand myself but my mom is concerned that he won't give any more information without a paid for appointment.

-Tsukimi

Have you tried looking for adult services in the nas in your area?

I have found local adult services and my mom has been trying to call them, but has yet to get through due to the times she works.

I am feeling a bit lost as to where to go from here, but am hoping they will help. I am also going to see my doctor tomorrow to see if she has any advice etc. she has been really helpful through the process so I like to keep her informed about any progress.

Edited by Tsukimi

Hi Tsukimi, hope you and your mum are doing ok. Your message about the waiting really bought it back to me.James was 3 a.d had 4 (supposed) proffesionals on his case for a year, who still couldnt decide but when my husband said we wanted answers, they said oh yeah we can refer him!! Hes 16 now, but still annoys me.