richard1979uk

Aspergers and ADHD/ODD

I have a 9 year old Son with Aspergers and ADHD/ODD who has never ever got along with his 4 year old brother, he gets on fine with his 3 year old brother and we have just had a baby born with cleft lip and palate who again he gets along fine with. But he has for some reason always had it in for the 4 year old brother, he wishes him dead and has constantly threatens him and hits him every single day. My 4 year old is starting to become a nervous wreck because of this, and myself and my wife are at our wits end and don't know what to do. Has anybody else come across this situation with there child and there siblings.

Kindest Regards.

Richard,

do you have any family support at all? like family therapy sessions or maybe play therapy or social group for siblings of EBD could be possibly? I have just recently been diagnosed with adult ADHD , (combined type) sounds like your family has many different issues ongoing with both of children must be difficult to manage and balance do you think your ODD/ADHD struggles with feelings of intense, extreme jealously surrounding him? does your ADHD,ODD son on any medication or having any therapies or support?!

XKLX

Was wondering if you had any contact with the Challenging Behaviour Foundation?

http://www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk/index.html

The next website (unsure which county you are from) offers some advice on ODD.

http://www.camhscares.nhs.uk/v/bromley_what_odd

Some CAHMS services have a non-violence resistance group NVR. Can you get

CAHMS help in your area? That website also has links to ADHD, autism and other

disabilities and behaviours your child may need help with.

Last November, diagnosed with ADHD. The assessing doctor decided to refer me for an autism spectral disorder assessment. I'm now on a wait list for that and will be seen in February 2016.

At the moment, I take Concerta XL 36 mg. This is a slow release version of Ritalin. I have had a great deal of trouble with the routine and dosage. My GP is now managing this by giving me the pills every 7 days. Lately, I've noticed improvements: less anxiety, more calm and fewer mood swings.

Of all things about aspergers, it's this "lack of empathy" business which is been life long theme. People who scarcely know each other, but have know me for decades refer to my "lack of empathy". But I just don't see it.

According to an article in 2010 in New Scientist magazine 'aspergers feel others emotions too intensely to cope'.

Empathy is to do with understanding how someone else feels about their situation. If I have observed or experienced the situation I can empathise with another person in that situation, if not I struggle.

According to an article in 2010 in New Scientist magazine 'aspergers feel others emotions too intensely to cope'.

Empathy is to do with understanding how someone else feels about their situation. If I have observed or experienced the situation I can empathise with another person in that situation, if not I struggle.

The other day, I did that Sally-Anne 'empathy' test on YouTube. Immediately responded by saying where the ball had moved to. Not where they "person" thought the ball was still located. Whoops.

LOL, I did the same! Then a few months later I found another one with different pictures and I still did the same! :D

Test doesnt work on me because i know which answer = this persons autistic. So would give the NT answer to confuse people. Also because whenever ive lost something ive always been advised to 'look where i last had it' so im using past experience to influence my answer.

I am living this scenario right now and in fact my son and i are attending a family residential unit at present for 8 weeks. Part of the plan of care from the professionals is to adopt a method called 123 magic. The best thing to do is to purchase the dvd or book On Amazon And Judge For Yourself. It's simple and works for all kids aged 2 -12 no matter what additional needs or not. Have a try hun. The key is consistency once u start don't stop and be seen to do with all kids x

hello all why does no ever consider older people like myself who has aspergers syndrome and adhd [i waited over 2 years for the first adhd assessment] now I have been informed I need another assessment to see how servere it is ???? like most sites like this to say its awkward to navigate round is a joke most of the time I just give in as a autistic adult I feel I am off the radar the nas just seem to pat them selfs on the back but do little or nothing for the older generation like myself all my life I have stuggled on my own when I was diagnosed with aspergers 4 years ago at the grand age of 54 !!! I though at last I might get the help I need how wrong was I my family doctors have not got a clue they run there surgery like a money orientated business I cannot get to see a doctor for at least two weeks if I am lucky if I have a episode I have to deal with it on my own as for the nas shame on you us oldies need help to so please sort it rant over !!!!

Same here, Baz. It's like banging your head against a wall. Promises never materialise. I feel we should all be supporting one another in local groups, sharing our talents.

Agree with Baz57 and Mihaela. My initial ventures into local meetups didn't pan out especially well. I wasn't aiming for AS-specific groups. I was hoping that people who resorted to meetups for social reasons might be a bit more likely to be one of the tribe, so to speak. Perhaps so. Except for technical groups, they seem to be tiny, inconsistent, and rather prone to meeting in noisy coffee shops. Put a bit of a damper on things, for me.

Perhaps we don't 'flock.'