trekster

borderline personality disorder? bpd

Hello

I was wondering how a diagnostician can tell the difference between bpd and cptsd and autism?

I keep hearing about people with a diagnosis of bpd but when I try and find out more they sound autistic instead.

lots of the symptoms of bpd sound more like adhd, cptsd or asd with anxiety. how does someone tell the difference? also would dbt work on cptsd? American literature suggests it might.

having severe flashbacks and struggling with anger at the moment. could do with something long term or meds to 'take the edge' off the sea of stress in my head.

I'm not sure what some of those acronyms stand for. I know borderline personality disorder, post traumatic stress disorder but not 'CPTSD' or 'DBT'. That aside although some symptoms may overlap, those disorders have very different and distinct symptoms and also causes. I see them as very different. Also you can have post traumatic stress without it being PTSD, which has certain thresholds someone would have to be above/beyond before it would be consodered a disorder. My son has ASD and post traumatic stress. For the latter he is waiting for the Positive Transformations intervention through our local CYPS, which will involve hypnosis and NLP. At that stage it will be determined if it's enough to stand as a PTSD diagnosis. xx

Edited by trekster

Hello and thanks for the replies

CPTSD is a diagnosis used in the USA (but less so here) for people who were either abused as children or were subjected to multiple traumas. The C stands for Complex. DBT is dialectal behavioural therapy a form of CBT designed to help BPD and CPTSD folk recover. I am aware of the differences between short term traumatic stress and a long term disorder. The traumatic stress is often a 'watchful waiting' approach.

I hope your son finds the hypnosis and NLP helpful. I have heard getting a diagnosis of CPTSD and autism is very difficult. But I hope this is getting easier as time goes on. Problem is the MH system doesn't seem to get CPTSD or PTSD. I am finding the 2 disabilities hard to work out, im trying to understand some BPD friends of mine. Sounds like quite a frightening and confusing disability to overcome.