Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Wisdom Teeth

Has anyone's young person with ASD had trouble with wisdom teeth coming through? I think it could be why Glen has been so agitated lately as it was found by the mobile dentist that he has a wisdom tooth coming through which is inflamed and could definitely by why Glen's been so unhappy. He isn't able to tell you what's wrong that's the problem so he always hits out or hits himself.

Didn't you say that the staff have a chart that they point to asking if Glen has any pain? Do they not have a picture of his mouth or teeth that he could point to to indicate tooth pain? Maybe they could include that from now on.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel yes I thought that was strange that he didn't point to his teeth I will ask tomorrow whether they have a picture of teeth on their pain chart.

Jeanne

My little one is only 6 so not at the wisdom tooth stage yet. However, he has lost his first couple of teeth and aside from the panic of them actually coming out he has been agitated and upset more and he keeps pointing to the ones that are coming in

Also personally, at age 39 I have recently had 2 wisdom teeth start to come through a little more and one of these had food that had got stuck and caused infection - and it was the most painful thing I had ever had! I could not think of anything else at all apart from this constant pain, it was just throbbing all the time. I had some antibiotics and it made a big improvement within 48 hours. It could be worth getting the dentist to have another look, as its so difficult to keep them clean at this stage

LisaKaz

Hi Lisa, thanks very much for what you said. My son won't go out at all at the moment which is why the mobile dentist visited the home, she did say that Glen's teeth needed cleaning more thoroughly and prescribed anti-biotics for the inflamed wisdom tooth. I have a meeting at the home today so I will find out what their plan is on getting Glen to the dentist. Thanks again.