Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

Very upset over way people on other forums are treating me

It is the usual not understanding asd's basically I went online and asked for advice for a friend on benefits and it quickly became a benefit bashing thread and when I tried defending us both I was told I was not listening to advice so I tried explaining situation till someone was "rude" so I said they were being rude and was told they werent rude I just needed thicker skin so I defended myself mentioning as I had done about my asd and said they were dense then others came online and defended THEM and accused me of being rude, then it went on further bashing my friend for being unemployed as because he has been on benefits a year and not found a job he is "Not trying hard enougn" "making excuses" etc and they kept stating the obvious and calling it advice or saying he SHOULD do this that and another and when I said he couldnt I was told that was excuses.

It has devolved into me being called childish, argumentative, pathetic etc.

This has made me so upset my heart is racing and I want to just curl up and smash something at same time.

Just wanted some comfort and to rant.

Just let it go, some people on forums are just abusive and immature, don't rise to the bait - these people have little or no understanding of autism, or being long-term unemployed. There are plenty of long-term unemployed out there, its hard to get a job when you haven't worked for a while - employers have plenty of candidates to choose from, so they are unlikely to choose someone without recent work history.

Some people just like to provoke other people and see what response they can get.

That's the downside of social media. Best (only) thing to do is just ignore it.

There is little point getting into heated discussions on a forum - you won't change anyone's mind and you will only get wound up and upset.

I prefer forums with an "ignore poster" option and I will "ignore" anyone who is deliberately offensive.

The downside to forums is that people don't know the ins and outs of anyone's situation, all they know is what someone has written in a few lines and they make assumptions and make up their minds about things and are often wrong or mistaken. Don't take it to heart. In future try not to get into heated debates with people because nobody wins in situations like that, they just deteriorate into slanging matches and people get hurt. There's no point in trying to ram home your point and make people understand because they can't know you or your situation from reading a few sentences. Best to take a breath and accept that they don't know what they're talking about and shrug it off.

~ Mel ~