Emmy

Just need some sleep ... 😔

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody had any advice other then medication on the best way to get to sleep.

I'm a 23 year old female with High Functioning Autism - Aspergers basically! I work full time for Autistic adults in education and do talks around the UK to promote Autism Awareness however, I just can't sleep!

I know Autistic people tend to have problems with sleep but it getting really bad now I just can't shut of at night. Because of this the next day I'm feeling a little bit tired & moody the following day.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

After having tried and tested EVERYTHING, I found that valerian root works best for sleep.

It smells dreadful, but does the job without a drug hangover next day. If you can find the liquid extract, that was the strongest, (smelliest) and best.

Peace x

I know Autistic people tend to have problems with sleep but it getting really bad now I just can't shut of at night. Because of this the next day I'm feeling a little bit tired & moody the following day.

I tried Valerian for the same problem but it did not work for me. However, as accidentalme's post demonstrates, it is effective for some.

What I found better was learning to control my thoughts while I lay in bed with my mind racing. There are various techniques you can try but they all involve some level of distancing yourself from whatever thought is occupying your mind at a given time. So, if something is worrying you, you can address the thought and tell it to go away until tomorrow. This may sound daft but it works.

It may help to picture each thought or worry as an annoying child whom you have authority over, perhaps as a teacher or parent. Then it is easier to tell it to stop bothering you.

The great thing about this is that it puts you in control of your own mind, instead of the other way round.

Edited by littleplum

I would recommend exercise. Take up running and run for 20 or 30 minutes or progress to longer if you take well to it. It will unwind your mind and your body will be tired and ready to sleep.

~ Mel ~

What makes you say that? Exercise really is proven to help with poor sleep, not right before going to bed, but during the day sometime. Have you tried it in the past?

~ Mel ~

If you have a pain problem exercise can cause problems sleeping.

The OP doesn't say she has a pain problem. If someone is healthy, exercise releases endorphins in the brain which brings about a calming and relaxing effect, making sleep easier. It's worth a try, at least.

~ Mel ~

Is there anything in particular that's keeping you awake? Worry, wrong temperature, bedding too light or too heavy?

If you find your craving pressure or weight on you at night I highly recommend investing in a weighted blanket, unless you have hypermobility/EDS.

You could try meditation, I suffer really badly (and always have) from trying to get to sleep due to constant thoughts running through my mind which makes me restless and then I toss and turn trying to find a comfortable position which always seems impossible. When I started meditating before sleep I noticed that I'd fall to sleep pretty much straight away and get an uninterpreted sleep right through until around 6am.

If you've not meditated before I know it's not easy when you first start, especially if you have an active mind. I started with 5 minutes first of all and eventually managed to build it up over time to 1 hour, I'd say you need at least 20 minutes to help with sleep but the longer the better as it will help to clear your mind.

If you've not meditated before just sit in a chair in a comfortable relaxed position with your palms at your sides facing up and your feet flat on the floor, close your eyes and breathe in and out in a slow controlled manner and concentrate on your breathing to try to stop thoughts forming in your mind. If you do become aware of any thoughts just gently dismiss them and continue to concentrate on your breathing. Try not to fidget and try to keep the same posture even if you start to ache.

The only thing that meditation will cost you is time and discipline so it's worth a try and it's a better option than medication :-)

Hi is it possible to meditate in bed?

I would say it's better to meditate in a seated position, then there's no confusion between meditation and sleep ...