Sign in to follow this  
Viper

I stamped my feet and got my own way

Hi.

My DD colapsed on Saturday with her first ever Asthma attack. I rung my GP yesterday to get an appointment and was told there were none available for a few weeks and that I would have to ring at 8.30 this morning to see the practice nurse.

I rung at 8.30 this morning and again at 2 min intervals until I got through at almost 10 o'clock. I was then told there were no more appointments left and I should have called at 8.30, I would now have to wait until 8.30 tommorrow and try again.

I saw red and told her I had rung and she said "well it's no good shouting at me, we had people queing down the road this morning and all the appointments are gone" I hung up on her and rung the house of commons who put me through to my local MP who happens to be Micheal Howard, I spoke to his secretary and said "I was under the impression we should see a doctor within 48 hours, and I haven't even managed to get a apointment in 48 hours let alone see anyone." She rung me back in ten minites and said the practice manager was going to ring me.

I got a appointment, the only problem is it's at a sister sugery half an hours bus ride away and here in the country busses have a habit of just not turning up so we don't even know if she will get there yet.

Boy what a day, just shows what you can achieve if you contact the right people.

Viper.

Guest flutter

goo viper :dance:

remind me not to argue with you

i hate the call at 8-30 thing, cso it is endless

hope the appointment goes well, and you can get daughter to take meds ect

C x

Flutter, thats why they call me Viper. When i'm worked up it is said I spit venom.

It takes a while but when I know I'm right I can get very angry. I felt like I was hitting a brick wall this morning without any options so I took it higher.

What gets me is there is probably some hairy ar$*d old man sitting in the waiting room with a runny nose wanting some paracetamol. And why do receptionist think they can ask you why you want to see a doctor, thats confidential, if I want to see a doctor thats my buisness and I shouldn't have to explain it to his lacky. No offence to anyone I am just riled up right now.

This receptionist asked me if she was breathing at the moment and then said oh well it's not an emergency then. I pointed out that she might stop at any moment shoud I ring back if she does.

I can't believe all this.

Viper.

Hi Viper,

Well done B)

I would have done the same thing. Before I had the kids, I had a lot of miscarriages (4 plus 1 eptopic pregnancy). I was shopping when I realised I was starting to miscarry again. I walked the short distance to our Dr's and the receptionist told me that she couldn't let me see a Dr. Obviously, I ended up going straight to the hospital, but the receptionist wouldn't even call the hospital or my husband for me.

I know she couldn't have stopped me miscarrying, but still.

Annie

Way to go Viper!!

I love it when someone actually manages to do something positive instead of just moaning about bad service. Well done you.

wow it amazes me that you should have to do that. we can only ring on the day for an appointment and if theyve all gone before 9 youve had it!

if you want to see a practise doc and not a newly qualified doc you have to wait at least 4 days.

hurrah for the NHS lol B)

mind you id rather have that than the U.S. where u have to pay for everything! :blink:

Viper, I am deeply impressed, a woman not to be crossed!

Now if you could just help me with my incompetent social worker, wheres that number...?

yours, in deepest admiration

Loraine xxx

Well she made the appointment and she is now the reluctant owner of a peak flow meter and a turbo inhaler :blink:

The doctor said (after she explained the situation) that to go from wheezing to total colapse in twenty mins was bad and she was right to see him.

Shame I had to go via the house of commons to get her there :shame:

Viper.

###### jobsworth receptionists! I've had similar experiences and a good couple of rants but never actually got an MP to intervene. Excellent stuff :lol::lol:

Laughing with you, V, not at you: It shouldn't take this kind of drama for ANYONE to see a doctor - even the hairy ar$*d old codger with the sniffles ;)

L&P

BD

Guest flutter

glad u got it sorted

hope she now behaves with meds !!!!

so if that why u called viper, what does that make me ???????

ooh yes that would be the woos that i am lol

C x

Well done :clap:

I'll find a table and hide under it :hypno: scary

But I have about the same attitude, I don't just say things are a problem, I do my best to get something done about it, too many people will let the world go by, being stood on all the way

Round here you have to "be assessed by the triage team" b4 they'll even consider letting you have an appointment. Of course the TT try to get rid of as many patients as possible - perhaps the receptionists weren't doing a very good job!

I fell down the stairs and a couple of weeks later was still in pain, limping and with a swollen foot. Phoned surgery at 8.30 (as you do), told had to be assessed by TT (over the phone, without seeing my foot) who decided that I had just twisted it and should take paracetamols.

Week later no improvement, gave up and went to local casualty, only to be told I had broken a couple of bones in my foot!

Grrrr! :angry:

Lisa

Edited by Lisajb