Sign in to follow this  
Nikkir26

My 2 1/2 yr old son head smashing

Hi everyone I'm new to this group my son is 2 1/2 yrs old and is in the process of being diagnosed with aspergers I have never heard of this before but my health visitor and my sons pre school are helping build up enough evidence for a diagnosis at 3. I am really concerned though as he used to be so distant he won't communicate or acknowledge you or anyone and is very quiet in his own world but for the past month he seems to be getting increasingly angry and smashing his head off everything he even cracked my wall the other day and he must do it more than 100 times a day is there anything I can do to stop this before he damages himself he slaps his face pulls his hair and has started thinking it funny to hurt people which is totally out of his character any advice would be great please :( feeling very concerned thank you in advance

Hi and welcome. Yes, this is very worrying. Have you discussed this with his doctor/consultant? You can get lightweight helmets that children who head-bang can wear to protect themselves and this could be helpful in the short-term until you can find a solution. Is he communicating or is he verbal at all? It could just be frustration at not being able to communicate and could, therefore, lessen in time but if he gets lots of attention for the head-banging then it could make him do it more. 2 1/2 is very young for a dx of Asperger's, are they not considering a dx of autism because he is speaking?

~ Mel ~

Hi thanks for your reply his pre school and health visitor agree he ticks all the boxes for aspergers but I'm awaiting the proper diagnosis from doctor. He doesn't talk yet or should I say he can count 1-10 he says like bubbles and daddy and cbeebies that's as far as his words go but he can repeat every song and TV commercial going but he has never said a word to me or anyone else if he does try talking to is he has like his own language repeating the same words well not even words it's like eek eek onk or sesssh none of it makes sense. Sometimes he isn't even frustrated he will just smash his head for entertainment I will look into these helmets thank you, I always knew he was different I thought it was autism but who knows he won't play with anyone he has no relationship with his siblings he won't sit down with you unless he wants to he only plays with his mega blocks lining them up for hours only the single ones then smashes them up and starts again and he likes turning things upside down to spin wheels or pedals, he won't eat anything other than jam sandwiches or biscuits ect if he doesn't like the look or texture he won't go near it and he is always walking on tip toes flapping his hands like he is trying to fly. He also covers his fingers into his ears a lot and steels if he doesn't like a song or noise and he always twists his head round rotating it and turning his eyes in opposite corner I'm not sure what it is and he has no sense of pain or danger he bounces off things sorry for the essay it's very confusing on what to do to help him

I'm just very surprised, seeing what you've written, that they are not looking at a dx of autism rather than Asperger's. Asperger's is usually dx'd much later and speech is usually well developed if not precocious. Do you know why they are suggesting Asperger's rather than autism?

~ Mel ~

I was thinking the same about diagnosis. Aspergers children are supposed to have typical language development up to age 3. If your son is not talking, communicating, or not appearing to understand language, then that is not Aspergers, it is more likely to be diagnosed as autistic spectrum disorder - or it is more severe, then the diagnosis might be autism.

Have you also been referred to an Occupational Therapist to see if any of his behaviour is sensory related? Google sensory processing disorder/autism and read about it.

Finding it funny to hurt people is again quite common. He is very young, and being on the autistic spectrum means he will have difficulties understanding language, voice tone, facial/body expression/gestures. He may find it hard to process/link emotion to behaviour so if someone is hurt and shouts out he might find their reaction "funny" and not realise the reaction is due to that person feeling pain.

Edited by Sally44