Paul1234

BBC article

Hello Everybody. Thought I'd pop in again after several months of trying not to waste my life away on the internet :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-28746359

Interesting and frustrating and lots of things. Lots of things missing and a few welcome points.

Meltdowns : I've had these but very rarely. One surprised me a couple of years ago, it was like I wasn't there, on autopilot. I didn't know they were common/typical of asd. Hey that means it wasn't my fault lol... I'd hate to have another one though.

It is not unusual for someone on the autism spectrum to have a co-occurring condition.

I think this is because the differences are not just in the conscious mind or even emotional IQ etc.. that "screw loose" also applies to the way the body (brain) reacts to things including illnesses. I remember someone very close to me having the most ridiculous reactions to almost any illness, drug or change.. she was definitely in the asd club. I see similar thing in the way my body reacts, but having this knowledge, kind of empowers me to ignore it I suppose and just go with the flow.

I was going to say its a shame the author doesn't have aspergers or they would have written something different. However at the bottom it says they do have it :lol: Although I'm glad articles like this one pop up occasionally as it helps people understand it.

I was going to say its a shame the author doesn't have Asperger's or they would have written something different. However at the bottom it says they do have it

More about the author - she certainly makes me feel inadequate.

I've had meltdowns. Infrequently usually but I've had a couple of doozies this year. If I hadn't had my dx made official I may even have ended up at a fitness to practice panel but thankfully that never happened. I have a very very strong sense of fairness and if I feel the frustration of being treated unfairly or unreasonable demands placed on me then criticised for not meeting those demands it can and will trigger a meltdown. As an adult I am usually aware of the triggers building and can remove myself from the stimuli now but not always. Think I have had more meltdowns in the last year or so than I had in the previous 10 years.

"I have a very very strong sense of fairness and if I feel the frustration of being treated unfairly or unreasonable demands placed on me then criticised for not meeting those demands it can and will trigger a meltdown".

Same here, very much!!

Most of my meltdowns took place in my teens at home. I think it was how I coped with the daily bullying at school. Since then they've resulted from many acts of injustice, and I try my best to avoid such situations. My sense of fairness extends to all sentient beings. I detest all kinds of cruelty and sometimes I literally weep for the state of humanity. The NT world is so utterly inhumane in so many ways. I'm acutely aware of injustice everywhere; in the family, in schools, in the NHS, local authorities, governments... Even the so-called 'justice system' with its Orwellian-named 'Ministry of Justice' can be thoroughly unjust - often intentionally so.

So I don't merely get upset when I happen to be the victim of injustice, but at injustice itself. I feel so alone.