Anya

Concerned - help, please.

Hello, I am new to this site but would be very grateful for any help or support, please.

My 73 year old husband has never been diagnosed but from all the research I have looked into seems to have many ASD symptoms which are getting worse as he gets older.

We were managing reasonably well until I had cancer 5 years ago but ,as I also have ME I am ashamed to say my patience is very poor and I am not coping well which is affecting him too.

My husband has never been formally diagnosed and refuses to think there may be anything at all wrong- in fact he tells me that he likes to be different. This means that we can't work together on any problems and he has a 'like it or lump it ' approach.

Our biggest problem is communication as he uses no nouns or subject matter when speaking to me and also mutters, so 90% of the time I have no idea what he is talking about - I either have to ask him to repeat it or guess.

Nothing I have tried has worked, can anybody offer any suggestions, please - I am desperate.

Thank you.

Have you tried contacting your local social services to ask for a carers assessment for yourself? This is how my family got the help for me when gran was struggling to look after me.

Also NAS.org.uk have support groups for parents and carers of adults on the spectrum.

I'm sorry he refuses to think their is anything wrong in the way you communicate with each other. I hope you find some answers soon.