wishface

Trying To Get A Diagnosis

I have tried to get a diagnosis because I believe I have aspergers - or something like it (I'm no expert). The process began in January and the end report was made in June. I was told they couldn't diagnose either way because of a lack of developmental/childhood history to analyse (i'm 41).

I have seen a DWP Work Psychologist who said I may have something called Non Verbal Learning Disorder. THis was dismissed during the diagnosis: the clinician claimed it doesn't exist. There was the possibility of a number of overlapping conditions, including ADD. My feeling is still Aspergers.

What options are available to me? It is important to get diagnosed, but I don't know what else I can do? I cannot get a developmental history, that is not an option.

(disclosure: i have posted this elsewhere).

Hi wishface. I guess it really depends on the reasons why you want a dx. Is it to enable you to access services or just for peace of mind? Some find that finally getting a dx a brings relief after years of wondering but in practical terms it might not really change your life in any way. Some people have coped well throughout their lives and have a job and good relationships, maybe are married with children of their own. In those cases, I have to wonder what they think a dx might bring for them. If you are looking for services it could help open some doors but there is not much in the way of support for adults on the spectrum, although a firm dx could still be useful in this case.

Not sure that helps much!

All the best.

~ Mel ~

Hi wishface. I guess it really depends on the reasons why you want a dx. Is it to enable you to access services or just for peace of mind? Some find that finally getting a dx a brings relief after years of wondering but in practical terms it might not really change your life in any way. Some people have coped well throughout their lives and have a job and good relationships, maybe are married with children of their own. In those cases, I have to wonder what they think a dx might bring for them. If you are looking for services it could help open some doors but there is not much in the way of support for adults on the spectrum, although a firm dx could still be useful in this case.

Not sure that helps much!

All the best.

~ Mel ~

Both, particualrly in respect of dealing with the DWP (I claim ESA).

However I'm more concerned with getting advice as to what to do next given that I can't get a diagnosis.

Depends. You can still look into it more for yourself. If they say they can't diagnose without this stuff you can't supply, I don't see how to get around that. It maybe that another expert would feel able to do so, however. Best wishes with it!

www.nldontheweb.org contains information about NLD.

Differences between Aspergers Disorder (US webpage) and NLD are in the section about "NLD Advanced Reading" under the heading "Aspergers Disorder vs NLD"

There is also the Lorna Wing Centre which can diagnose without a developmental history contact them on 020 8466 0098 or email lornawingcentre@nas.org

Hope you get some answers soon. A diagnosis can support an application for disability benefits but if you can describe your difficulties without a diagnosis it is possible to get benefits.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk have guides on applying for ESA, DLA and PIP.

My diagnosis needed input from my mother about my childhood as well but if you have needs I cant see that its the only way to get treatment or they are letting you down and putting your health at risk. Have you contacted the general medical council on their failure to find out whats the matter with you. Maybe they could suggest something to you or at least look into why the kind of treatment you needs isnt available to you when you desperately need it.

No.

I am waiting for the DWP Work Psychologist i was put in contqact with in 2012 (when i was signing on) to speak to the diagnostic pyschologist, as per the former's suggestion. Unfortunately she's not particularly helpful and hasn't replied to my email of 2 weeks ago.

I'm not sure what else there is. The diagnostic people are simply not interested without a childhood background to analyse which I cannot give them. Is there no other option?

www.nldontheweb.org contains information about NLD.

Differences between Aspergers Disorder (US webpage) and NLD are in the section about "NLD Advanced Reading" under the heading "Aspergers Disorder vs NLD"

There is also the Lorna Wing Centre which can diagnose without a developmental history contact them on 020 8466 0098 or email lornawingcentre@nas.org

Hope you get some answers soon. A diagnosis can support an application for disability benefits but if you can describe your difficulties without a diagnosis it is possible to get benefits.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk have guides on applying for ESA, DLA and PIP.

Thanks, but benefitsand work want payment to access their site and the Lorna Wing centre is the other side of the country.

The DWP Work Psychologist recommended i claim PIP, but there's no way on earth that I can qualify for that, IN fact there's people dying of cancer that aren't getting claims processed, I don't feel good about further clogging up the system. She seems to think I can use the money (fifty odd quid a week) to pay for something she called a 'community mentor', though i'v eno idea what she's talking about.

Support is just a joke.