Sign in to follow this  
Sherilee77

28 year old Asperger male threatened with eviction - advice?

Hi

I'm new here so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. My brother was diagnosed at age 8 and has quite severe Aspergers. Despite this he has lived alone since the age of 18 after previously being in foster care as my mother couldn't cope with him as a child. He has been in a council flat until last year when he moved into a local housing association property and my mum was going round to do his weekly cleaning as he simply refuses to clean the house or himself and often goes months without bathing, the house is unhygienic and filthy. She stopped going round as she physically can't do it and is also registered disabled and is bipolar. We have been trying to get a carer or social worker to help him with his daily living tasks and encourage self hygiene but we have been getting no where. He has now received an official eviction letter due to causing disturbances with the neighbours and threatening behaviour (he has started hearing voices and become very paranoid and so we are trying to get him assessed by a psychiatrist which is also proving near impossible!). What can we do about the eviction? I have always felt he needs to be in warden led accommodation but cant seem to get this for him. I've contacted safeguarding and social services again recently and my mums fiancee is also trying to liase with various people to sort this out but we only have a week left. My Mum says she will have a breakdown if he has to live with her and I'm worried he will end up on the streets. I myself am renting rooms in a house and have 2 children of my own to care for (one who possible has Aspergers and is awaiting an assessment) plus I live nearly 300 miles away so I can't house him myself. I really don't know what else to do so any help would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm so sorry, I have absolutely no advice to give as it sounds like you are all working extremely hard to try and help your brother and I have no other suggestions that you haven't already tried. It's a horrible situation you're all in, but you don't need me to tell you that. I only wish I could offer some practical support but I wanted to give some moral support at the very least and wish you all the best in getting him the help he needs.

~ Mel ~

Hi, I don't know if you have already tried what I am about to suggest.

He needs to seek advice from citizens advice immediately regarding his home situation. I have also found Shelter to be very experienced in these matters.

Write to the LA requesting a core assessment of his needs. If its in writing they have to respond and should carry out an assessment.

As regards the psychiatric assessment, if it is not happening write to Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and complain.

I hope he finds the support he needs.

Edited by cathcart3303

Hi

Thank you both for your replies. He has been granted an extension on the tenancy until a court hearing can take place so we are hoping to get something sorted out soon just incase it doesn't go in his favour. I will try your suggestions cathcart and post an update when I can x

like the other folks, my helpful box is empty when it comes to this matter sherilee,

but your brother is very fortunate indeed to have someone like you in his life.

I wish I had something to contribute in terms of advice, but I don't.

I hope it all works out for your brother,

...not just for him, but for you, because you clearly care about his welfare when you could so easily walk away.

I have always found this organisation very helpful http://disabilityrightsuk.org/

Make sure the request for an assessment of your brother is put in writing. Disability Rights UK helped me to word a letter correctly so that my son was finally assessed by Childrens Services. Once you have a letter, with a date, you can lodge a complaint if they don't assess. And you can involve the Local Governments Ombudsman who will ensure that adult services did go through the correct procedures. And it sounds like currently they aren't doing anything. The LGO can order the LA [adult services] to do what they should do, and can award compensation.

If he has a diagnosis he is a vulnerable adult. Include in the letter exactly what is happening ie. eviction, unable to cook, clean, shop for himself? Mental Health Assessment needed etc. I presume he is not working?

If he was fostered, then childrens services must have been involved. Can you contact anyone involved previously to get advice on who to contact now?

The Charity Mind may also have some advice.

Edited by Sally44