Sign in to follow this  
Akunin

Coping with anxiety.

I am sure this is a problem many of us suffer with and just wondered in what ways everyone tries to manage their anxiety?

My anxiety at the moment is caused by work being done to our house (garage conversion, new kitchen, bathroom, drive etc) and it is a lot for me to take in and a lot of noise and people I don't know coming into the house. We also have neighbours moving out, and will have new ones soon, as today I saw different people coming to look around. We had a dispute with the previous tenants regarding inconsiderate noise, so although I am very happy they are going, I am also getting stressed out about who may move in next, so all in all I am having a great deal of trouble coping currently and just could do with a little advice.

-Akunin

Edited by Akunin

I generally feel anxious 24/7 about everything.
I am often depressed and sit in the house quite a lot due to not having many friends since I just moved in with my dad because my moms boyfriend didn't like me.

I feel anxious that people won't like me and I'll never be loved and I'll just die alone.
I also feel anxious about my work situation and just going to places like the job centre as I have saw how they treat others.

I feel anxious whenever there are people about, when the phone rings, when the post arrives, etc. I cope by keeping my mind ever active with distractions, or escape into the woods. I always wanted to live in a hut in the middle of a wood with animals for friends :) Instead I've ended up with 3 houses and just cannot cope with them as I have impaired 'executive function' - due to AS, as yet undiagnosed..

I understand exactly what you mean about having builders in the house. It would drive me mad. If you can, try to to get out to wild places.

I'm not sure this is going to help akunin,

but just in case it does.... I have this mental system I try to use.

if anything is stressing me out of making me feel anxious,

I try to ask myself... "in three days time.. how will I feel about it?"

I usually find the answer to be, I won't give a t**s!

so I try to force myself to act and behave about the matter how I know I'll feel in three days time.

I hope that makes sense.

good luck

I can relate to that collectingrocks,

my three day advice "thing", I mentioned in my post I did a few days ago, definitely doesn't cover social situations.

re: socially I'm always overwhelmed with the knowledge that I'm inevitably go to say something wrong, or do something wrong.

(...and then have a new person i didn't even know, added "to the list" of people who don't like me.)

often without me even knowing what I did wrong :-(

that is anxiety.

I've use this app on my mobile phone that helps me (or maybe helps people who have to put up with me lol.)

all you have to do touch the screen (discretely inside your pocket,) and you get a phone call back in 2 minutes, and it's a fictitious "pre- recorded" boss saying "theirs troubles at the office. please come now. it's a mega emergency. etc."

then I just make my excuses and leave.

Cowardly I know :-(

but since I've started using it, I've found having it as a Linus blanket, has helped me stay longer at social functions than I usually would of.