Autism&Uni

Autism&Uni research - we need you!

logo.png

Hello, my name is Marc Fabri and I lead the European-funded Autism&Uni project. Autism&Uni aims to increase opportunities for young adults on the autism spectrum to succeed in higher education (HE).

Many people on the autism spectrum are capable of success at HE level. However, they are likely to be under-represented, even though autism is not an indicator of intellectual ability. Clearly, the transition from school to a university environment can be a very difficult step for someone with autism.

We want to support the students in finding out about the challenges they may encounter when applying to, and then settling into university. We will help them learn the skills they need to negotiate student life and studies successfully.

Autism&Uni involves people on the autism spectrum and those who support them, right from the start to ensure they have direct influence on designing solutions that work for them. There are three ways to get involved:

For young people on the autism spectrum
If you are thinking about going to university or you already have university experience, please help us by completing our student survey at www.autism-uni.org/get-involved.

For individuals and organisations providing support
If you support someone on the autism spectrum, e.g. as a parent, a teacher, lecturer, disability advisor or other autism professional, we would like to learn how you do that and who you work with. Please visit www.autism-uni.org/get-involved.

Tell your story
We are particularly interested in collecting personal stories from people who have had higher education experiences. These stories will help us determine how future students can best be informed and supported. If you want to share your story – either with your name or anonymously – please go to www.autism-uni.org/get-involved/stories.

Autism&Uni has partners in the UK, Finland, The Netherlands, Poland and Spain. The project has been funded with support from the European Commission and runs from October 2013 to May 2016.
Web:
www.autism-uni.org. Email: autism-uni@leedsmet.ac.uk. Principal Investigator: Dr Marc Fabri

Does Autism&Uni's remit extend to support for students spending all or part of their degree abroad? I could certainly have done with that myself (see earlier post).

Hi Aeolienne,

It is a cross-European project that will be available to everyone (open source code, open access publications etc) and translated into multiple languages, and we certainly do not exclude people who have studied abroad or international students. The EU is our focus, just because that is how we are funded. We have project partners in Poland, Spain, the Netherlands and Finland, but experiences from other European countries are also very useful.

Your story would be particularly helpful to us to make sure we include experiences like you had in Stockholm - we have heard stories anecdotally where students have misunderstood similar programmes or things like course descriptions, but we can't include them in the research unless they have been published in a journal or unless the person has consented to be in our study.

If you could say something about your Erasmus issues particularly and your HE experiences generally by using our template - at www.autism-uni.org/get-involved/stories - we would be very grateful. We'd also like you to fill in our survey.

What about more mature students on the spectrum? I am almost finished my degree but am 2 modules short and a mixture of my childrens needs and my own issues I am having to take time out. I am 38 (well 39 on Friday) - is this too old for the demographic you are looking at?

Hi Aeolienne,

It is a cross-European project that will be available to everyone (open source code, open access publications etc) and translated into multiple languages, and we certainly do not exclude people who have studied abroad or international students. The EU is our focus, just because that is how we are funded. We have project partners in Poland, Spain, the Netherlands and Finland, but experiences from other European countries are also very useful.

Your story would be particularly helpful to us to make sure we include experiences like you had in Stockholm - we have heard stories anecdotally where students have misunderstood similar programmes or things like course descriptions, but we can't include them in the research unless they have been published in a journal or unless the person has consented to be in our study.

If you could say something about your Erasmus issues particularly and your HE experiences generally by using our template - at www.autism-uni.org/get-involved/stories - we would be very grateful. We'd also like you to fill in our survey.

I've filled in the survey, but when I click on the link www.autism-uni.org/get-involved/stories I'm redirected to the main www.autism-uni.org page.