dotmarsdotcom

who are we to decide? should aspies/ high functions run the world?

i hope this post is ok.

i'm sure the mod's will remove it if it isn't :-)

but the world to me seems to not be going to well lately?

its all falling apart, and loads of people haven't got anything no more?

because they trusted the bankers? government. etc.

i suggest. let us aspies/ autistics run the world for just three months?

three months won't make no difference to them surely?

and it would be interesting to see if we'd make a difference?

if after three months we've messed it up more than them.. they can have it back?

i think it would be cool to give it a try?

anyone agree?

I wholeheartedly agree! We couldn't do a worse job than the self-styled 'experts', and we'd probably do a far better job.

I think we have many advantages over the types of NTs who rise to positions of power. We tend to scrupulously honest and have have high principles, we don't break promises, we're reliable, loyal, able to see a situation from different angles, less concerned with power and status, and less likely to be narcissistic. We're deep and careful thinkers. We care more, we're sensitive, we care for animals... (All these are listed as common female-type aspie traits).

We certainly couldnt do a worse job could we you just have to look around you to see the destruction those in power create and they claim we have issues. If we could work together and they take notice of our needs and others a better place could be created it wouldnt be perfect but would be a start. We all know its never going to happen because those in power arnt interested in us or others in need. If they did they would find the will and the money to change things. At an instant they find money to fight a war but say they need to make savings in the NHS that saves lives. What better example do we need as to their priorities.

I don't know - maybe Aspies were among those responsible for the financial crisis? After all, Goldman Sachs has a soft spot for them... See earlier thread

I'm very much against that idea. I have already been one (of several) advisors to a MP (not in Britain), and running one country alone is already a job for a big crowd. The interaction needed within that crowd is too quick and too complex to get handled with autism. That's my personal feeling, and it's not due to lack of IQ score on my side (in the 99th percentile).

Would you rather a country was run by people who only think of themselves and who channel their psychopathic traits into politics (which is the case at present)? I'm not necessarily saying that aspies would be ideal, far from it, but I think they'd do a better job than the untrustworthy types who tend to get into positions of power. Aspies would be far more likely to act with integrity, be honest, treat us equally and fairly - and not fiddle their expenses!

thanks for replying shoring.

I value opposite views to my own, because they challenge me and make me think things through properly.

I can see your point about there might be certain aspects of office, that would be difficult for an autistic person to handle.

but I can't speak for all autistic's, I can only speak for myself.

so if I say, for example was in office, I could imagine myself needing a very good back office support system, to deal with the complex coordination issues involved.

whilst I got locked up in the issues.

but the point of what i'm saying (and perhaps Michaela is agreeing with?)

is that we've all seen the result of NT's holding office.

..and perhaps the proof of the pudding is in the eating,

in that they clearly aren't serving the public's best interests.

one doesn't need to understand the functioning's of a machine, to see when it is not working?

and if something is not working, then why not try something different?

just because it is different!

i can not imagine an autistic person, with the help of a trusted back office, making anything worse than things are all ready?

i find austistic people to be intrinsically very moral, and very logical in matters of fairness.

we wouldn't get all the corruption that is currently prevalent for a start,

because autistic's would be clueless to any threats made to them.

i.e. if i was in 10 downing street, and the owners of the top 10 companies. i.e. oil/ pharmaceuticals/ technology co's,

visited me and threatened me unless I accepted their bribes,

i would say no to them.

i wouldn't be interested in any promises of lucrative positions on their boards after office,

just "so long as i permit that new drug that doesn't work" to be sold?

or i "let them drill for oil in a place where no one wants them too". etc?"

i would speak for the people, and not those 1% at the top, who are only interested in them selves.

i'm sure they'd find someway to get to me though?

i'm sure no one in office starts out bad. i bet everyone starts out with the best of intentions,

they'd probably take my grandkids "for a ride", and bring them back but say next time, they might not bring them back?

either that or i'd just get assassinated in six months lol.

either that or perhaps I've just been watching too much x-files.

regards,

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

as an addition to my comments,

in an attempt to be humorous :-)

i like douglas adam's concept of who should run the world.

i think in one of his books, he fictionalised a little old man, living in a hut on his own, with no external influences.

...and if folks needed a decision on a important matter, they'd just drop in and listen to him wibbling on.

i can't recall exactly how the story goes, but i believe the little old man didn't even know he was in power?

he often rambled on, and what he said made no sense, but they found what ever he said was still better than the corrupt people.

perhaps that is the crucial part to it all?

the only person who could fairly run the world, would be someone who didn't want too? and maybe didn't even know he or she was?

:-)

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

Personally, I don't think it should be a case of autistics vs non-autistics running the world. You can, after all, get selfish and greedy autistic people, just like you can get selfish and greedy NTs. I think it should be a case of people who have actually experienced the real world running things, i.e. not privately-educated toffs who live in a fantasy world. As well as this, MPs should not be above the law as they currently are (look up allegations of child molestation against MPs in the 1980s and the police reaction to them) and should be paid far less than they are now. Their salary is, after all, paid at the expense of the taxpayer - the very people who MPs like to royally screw over. Politics should also be properly taught in schools so young voters actually understand what they're getting into instead of blindly assuming that the only political system that works is a two (or three) party one.

Is it fair to exclude people from politics based on what school their parents chose for them?

That's not my point. My point is that people living in a fantasy world - e.g. people like David Cameron - should not be allowed to be politicians. However, I would think that this is far more likely in people who went to private schools rather than state schools. I'm very against the whole notion of private schools anyway - in my opinion it's elitist.

When I say that I feel Aspies could do a better job than the usual shower running the show, I'm thinking of those who have strong positive traits of honesty, rational thinking, loyalty, a sense of justice and empathy. In other words, I feel that we have far more integrity than the average politician.

Yes, private schools are inherently elitist, but thankfully rare to non-existent in European countries. They're a very English thing. When Eastern Europe was opened up to the West, various Western (usually US-based) companies, quangos, charities and religious outfits were quick to take root in these countries, and influenced the founding of private schools for children of the rich. Luckily, there aren't that many and they only tend to exist in and around the capitals. I can't really imagine a private school system like that of England ever taking hold in any non-English-speaking country. The English class system is unique, and it's the private schools, along with the monarchy, aristocracy and honours system that enable it to flourish. They have a lot to answer for.

On the other hand, there's so much that I dislike about state schools too, but that's another story...

In truth, those who are electable and have connections gain power. Initial schooling has little to do with it, its their time at the few quality universities that make the difference. Granted individuals have a better chance of getting into a top flight university if they went to a good school, mostly all private, now there are no separated grammar schools left, comprehensive education has a lot to answer for, and I say that as one who would have failed my eleven-plus! My final school years where in a grammar just turned comprehensive, one could see the rot setting in, discipline breaking down, the cane was still an option then.

If you want a better world, start with schooling, get it right and things improve, get it wrong and things get worse. It takes a generation or two for any change to be noticed.

The signs are, that schooling now is worse than when I attended, schools are too big, impersonal, and uncaring. With small schools where the 'head' knows every pupil, there is a chance.

Now my age and experience colour my opinion, and I know will offend some of you, that can not be helped. I am not political correct, that nonsense is a symptom of the countries malaise.

Now if I read as being a bit much, then I should add that I am in a lot of pain, that tends to make me more aggressive then I would otherwise be. Its going to be a hard night. :crying:

Edited by Waterboatman

In truth, those who are electable and have connections gain power.

True - and thanks only to electors who are effectively unsuited to elect, due to lack of competence - having been manipulated into believing that the modern so-called 'democratic' system is democratic, fair, right and civilised. It isn't.

If you want a better world, start with schooling, get it right and things improve, get it wrong and things get worse.

Very true, except that I'd say start with education, rather than schooling. The two are radically different - world's apart. We have too much schooling and precious little education. This has always been a deliberate ploy changes with political or religious fashions. Knowledge is power, and the truth will set us free. No hierarchy is prepared to share its secrets for fear of losing power, and truth becomes something to be jealously guarded. Schooling has more in common with indoctrination, institutionalisation and control - while knowledge and truth are carefully rationed and only come second place. Children need to be encouraged to love learning simply for learning's sake, starting by identifying their interests and talents and working from there. One thing I like about private school's - they're not shackled to a National Curriculum, and by the way, grammar schools and the 11-plus still exist in some parts of England.

Schools are too big, impersonal, and uncaring. With small schools where the 'head' knows every pupil, there is a chance.

Now my age and experience colour my opinion, and I know will offend some of you, that can not be helped. I am not political correct, that nonsense is a symptom of the countries malaise.

You don't offend me. I agree completely ...and, yes, the bigger the school, the worse things become.

I can confirm that grammar schools do still exist in the UK. I went to one for a start. There was a huge drug problem and a lot of students were not encouraged to follow their ambitions, rather being pushed into more academic subjects. It's ridiculous, really - I only went to a grammar school because a fair few of my friends went there and I would have been murdered at the local comprehensive as most of the tormenting, bullying berks at my primary school went there. Needless to say, going to a grammar school stifled my creativity over the years and I lost interest in art after my GCSE art teacher lost my coursework!

OK, corrected? :unsure:

The topic is should Aspies rule the world. Shall we resume, I think we better.

If the world is the 'USA' then its quite possible, that it has been the case a few times over the years. Aspie's can act, quite a few become teachers and professors. Recently in geological time, there was a US president who was an actor, he was thought to be an idiot by much of the world. :oops: Now thats not a slur on Aspie's, it just how others perceive us.

Laddo 'acting/performing' is a management strategy for dealing with a large number of people, when it is normally not possible to cope with more than two. I have used it myself, briefly a tutor to two sets of engineers, I was for a time the leading expert on a computerised till in the UK.

Edited by Waterboatman

Oh thanks for clarifying that for me, I would never have guessed otherwise. Really appreciate the rudeness once again. Pretty ironic you saying that considering how often you've gone off topic just to say how much life sucks.

Being an actor has nothing to do with being autistic.

Edited by Laddo

Real point is would you really want to rule the world? I think its better no one does.

It gives some comfort to those who think they do. And something for those who do not, yet still think those who think they do rule, rule, something to hatch conspiracy theories about. Confused yet, I am.

Best cure for confusion is cup of strong sweet tea and a biscuit or two.

good idea. let's give it three months try and see what happens. then we can think about keeping it permanent, if it works well.

I really believe aspies would do a better job than neurotypicals. We're more caring and compassionate than they are, and a hell of a lot smarter. We do what's right and not what society expects. and we dont butter up to those in power.

let's give it a try. cant get much worse than it already is...