dale5134

new diagnosis

Hi

Been putting this off for a couple of weeks so here goes I'm a 42 year old male that just got diagnosed with aspergers 2 weeks ago im waiting for the full report from phycologist but I decided to get it looked into because my 17 year old son got diagnosed at 5 with adhd and aspergers.

So its constantly on my mind now and im reading Dr attwoods latest book to help but any advice diet etc would be helpful

Thanks dale

Hi Dale! Welcome to the forum :)

One piece of advice that I think is crucial for every aspie to know is to have a place you feel totally relaxed in, whether it's a room, a field or a little spot in the woods. I have only just found that out for myself (I'm 23 and was diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD when I was about 7) and I've gotta say it has helped me a lot.

I hope your diagnosis goes nice and smoothly and you can get some useful advice

Hello, Dale! Good advice, Laddo.

I also have my quiet spots in the woods and hills, can't do without them. I go for long walks when I can, in all weathers - away from people! I live alone with my three cats so I have a lot of peace and quiet at here. Animals can be far better company than people. As for diet, I can't advise you, for I know I'm not eating well lately but I am trying to improve. I used to do a lot of cooking at one time.

Edited by Mihaela

welcome to the forum dale.

you aint alone and your in the right place.

i'll look forward to reading more of your posts.

respectfully, all the best.

Edited by dotmarsdotcom

Hi Dale,

I too am only recently diagnosed as a 45 year old woman. My son was diagnosed years ago as a child. I was so sure it all came from his father, who couldn't cope with him at all and indeed left us for another woman and has had very little to do with us since.

It is a shock isn't it to learn that you're an Aspie? Especially when you have learnt all about it for someone else. The one thing I have found that has helped me is meditation. I go to a mindful meditation group weekly and have read up on how to work with your mind and it's thoughts. I find the eastern philosophies very enlightening (no pun intended). I think that the textbooks on AS tend to dwell on the problems associated with the disorder and that's not always helpful. You need to learn about your own mind, which will be unique to you. It will be strong and healthy and can achieve great things - even under it's banner of Asperger.

You clearly have a loving family and I'm sure it hasn't been easy rearing your son, but the world would be a poorer place with out Aspies down the years... we bring our own viewpoint and perspective and the human race is richer for it.

Best of luck x

I like your positive approach, Kitty. I agree that meditation is a great help.

Far from being a shock for me, it was a gradual suspicion that led to an enlightening (!) revelation that I'm an Aspie. It's helped me understand myself after all these years of suffering. I'd always been described as 'complex', an 'enigma', 'eccentric', a 'dreamer' or just plain weird. Now I know why, and I wouldn't want to change for the world! The NT world is not my world; I live in it, but I'm not of it - and I find that very comforting.

Welcome I find staying off gluten and benzoates and dairy helps my autism.