Sign in to follow this  
Brook

Martian in the playground

Hi all,

have just bought a copy of this book, and from what I've read so far it is really good.

Anyone else read it?

Brook

I read it a couple of months ago, I think it is essential reading for any parent of an autistic child in a mainsream school. I kept recognising parts of it from my own childhood too. :unsure:

Highly recommended!

Simon

As the parent of a child with AS, I would go as far as saying that if you only read one book on AS then read this one.

What she says about schools is particularly interesting. She challenges the view that mainstream schools are 'neutral', arguing instead that they are specifically designed to meet the needs of neurotypical children.

A precis of this argument can be found here: Clare Sainsbury

Colin

Many thanks Colin,

I have already given a copy of Martian in the Playground to my local authority, I'll pass on this excellent paper by Clare.

Nellie xx

Hi All,

I keep buying the book and then giving it away as a gift to people who have found it inspiring.

It is an excellent book for anyone at all who is going to have anything to do with someone with AS - guess that means nearly the whole world should read it!

Becky - I have to ring you, but our group has a really large library of books and we intend to buy more and also some Social Skills games and books etc.

Claire Sainsburys writing has also formed part of the the 'essential reading' for my Uni course - it has not been a trial to read my favourite book.

Best wishes

HelenL

I agree, this is a wonderful book, I borrowed it from my local library and had a huge fine to pay in the end because I didn't want to give it back. I must get my own copy. It's particularly valuable because it is a view from the inside, rather than professionals talking about people with ASD.

Also one of my top 3 books. B)

Edited by Kathryn

Hi,

I was told today that Claire Sainsbury is the grandaughter of the founder of 'Sainsbury's'

It would explain why this particular supermarket does seem more clued up than most on asd, especially with regard to employing asd members of staff ?

Sorry, not exactly relevant to the original post :unsure:

I didn't know she was related to the Sainsbury family of grocers. But I have to completely disagree with you about this firm's attitude toward staff with ASD, based on my experience of working for them.

But the book . . . oh yes, the book is very good indeed.

Edited by Tally

Hi

I was interested to see what good feedback this book got from you all. I've just had a look for it online, and seen that the full title is about children with Aspergers. My son is ASD rather than Aspergers, so bearing that in mind, should it still be top of my reading list?

I have just been recommened this book by the behavioural psychologist and i was too wondering whether or not to read it as JJ is ASD rather than AS. I have got it and intend to start reading it when I have finised reading Donna Williams "nobody nowhere".

Any other good books than can be recommended would be appreciated.

Thanks

Supersec

I have just got my hands on a copy that the berkshire autistic society have leant me. Have just started to read it now!

I have just been recommened this book by the behavioural psychologist and i was too wondering whether or not to read it as JJ is ASD rather than AS. I have got it and intend to start reading it when I have finised reading Donna Williams "nobody nowhere".

Any other good books than can be recommended would be appreciated.

Thanks

Supersec

Hi Supersec,

I have also read 'nobody nowhere', it's good isn't it.

Another book that I wouldn't be without is:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=4573

Brook

Thanks for that link Brook - will look in to it.

Am struggling with "nobody nowhere" probably because it is all a little to close for comfort! Have perservered and am nearly at the end. Have laughed and cried reading this.

Will start the Martian book soon.

Supersec