Sign in to follow this  
dale5134

getting off anti depressants

I just got my diagnoses a few weeks ago that i have aspergers (im a 42 years old male) so after being on anti depressants for over 20 years ive now started to look into aspergers and what medication can be taken.

Im on flouxitane at the mo 1 a day but i want off of it because it doesn't improve my moods at all and my moods are the worst thing i was reading that you have to boost your seratonin levels i know excersise is the key but i dont do any at the moment so is there any medication to help thanks

Not being a doctor, I can not be very specific, or even very helpful.

All I can say, is that being out and about early in the day as the birds just through off their duvets, is the best thing I can think of. I am disabled now so my options are somewhat limited, I still live with the day and at least wake up at dawn or just before.

I do not react well to any long term medication, mostly they simply do nothing any more, or give me such adverse side effects that I have to stop. Its odd I have reacted badly to the basic proton pump inhibitor used with acidic pain pills.

The best basic antidepressant is 'tea' and eating a balanced diet, or at least one that agrees with you.

If you can walk in a peaceful place, stand and observe the birds getting their breakfast, spot the odd fox with something on its mind. I used to cycle and walk to work early in the day, its wonderful.

If your disabled like myself, then life is harder. I am 54 going down rather fast although I may make 94, in what state i shudder to think.

Pills in short are not an answer, talking/typing in this forum is better. Talking for real is best, but I am a 'pain' and not much fun to be with, so no one except a noisy neighbour says anything to me. Are you a recluse like myself? That I know does not help, people in any number are very difficult, so going out is timed to be quiet, another good reason for early morning walks. Avoid cycling, dogs seem to want to chase them!

Edited by Waterboatman

I too have been offered antidepressants in the past. But they are not the answer for me. I manage with various coping mechanisms depending on the strength of feeling. A cup of strong tea with 2 paracetamols can carry you through a difficult time. Paracetamol works for emotional pain just as well as physical pain. It takes the edge off. Then there can be [contradictory] a listening to music session, or a quiet time depending on what you are drawn towards at the time. Or how about volunteering your spare time to work with animals - walking dogs for a local shelter for an hour every week or the like. Or gardening for an elderly neighbour that can't manage it anymore. Nothing works immediately, but over time you will be impressed. Exercise is good but so is a huge bubble bath followed by a comedy film.

Be careful coming off the tablets though, you'll need a doctor's guidance as I don't think you can just suddenly stop.

Make sure you are on a good diet and eat regularly, I frequently take extra vitamin B when my 'nerves' are bad.

I wish you luck x

hi dale5134,

welcome to the site.

(i'm not admin.. i'm just a guy just like you.)

I have to concur with the other folks who have typed in.

I'm sorry to give it to you straight, but there is no cure.

if you and I are aspie, there is no cure.

it basically means our nerions in our brains don't fire the way others do.

there isn't any drug that's gonna re- map our brains

soz to be straight up about that, but that's just the way of it.

there are no drugs.

and as my learned other co- chats have said, anti- d's and what ever don't work (your brain will be different. it won't respond to that sort of stuff :-(

all I can say is you are with other's like you, and if you ever want to not feel alone, come here.

this place is good.

we might not all the time understand each other, but we've all got something in common, so I find here, no one will ever be mean.

..and there are advantages to being how we are.

all the best,

and most respectfully yours.

Edited by dotmarsdotcom