Sign in to follow this  
smiley

restricted diet - it's working!

just wanted to share with you all....

my son has been on a strict diet for nearly five months now. he is not allowed any artificial flavourings, colours or preservatives. his milk/gluten intake is limited and no processed food. (he's also been taking eye - q supplement for about a month)

today we went out for a bike ride and stopped off at the corner shop, they had no bottled water so i brought a small bottle of 'peach with mineral water' thinking it would be ok.

OH MY GOD!! chaos, within an hour he was ranting, then in tears, literally climbing everything, couldn't manage to sit still, not making much sense, shouting,....you all know the drill.

he 'woke' up a few minutes ago, m sleepwalks and you have to catch him or he will wee anywhere! i sorted him out the went back downstairs. then i realised that he hasn't sleepwalked fo a couple of weeks (it used to be every night) and checked the drinks bottle - full of cr*p!

AND i've just realised how fantastic he's been these last few weeks and how much the change in diet has worked for him. we went on a BIKE RIDE for goodness sake! - that would have been impossible even a montha ago. it's shocked me how quickly i've taken to this calmer version of him, without realising his improvements in behaviour.

of course now i fell awful for not checking the drink before i gave it to him, but as selfish as this sounds, im pleased it has happened. it's made me realise how far he's come. :D

Dietary interventions don;t work for everyone, but thay can have spectacular results.

One side-effect seems to be that sensitivity to the offnding substances increases significantly, so it doesn't take much to have a spectacular effect.

Simon

hi simon,

i've been wondering that all day - that i have made him hyper-sensative.

i hope not, i was so delighted last night to finally see some good results i didn't stop to wonder if it's going to cause more trouble..... :(

my son has had a history of major bowel trouble/ops so i think he may be fairly intolerate anyway.

i'm still please with his progress, the main problems he has are still there, it's just easier for him (and me) to find ways around them when he's calmer. x

;) Hi

My son also had a bowel infection and is intolerant to milk, wheat, chocolate, orange. Since he has been eating a restricted diet he has calmed down alot and he talks alot more and seems to be able to string sentences together much easier. It has also removed he's bad chest and asthma and excema.

I suppose you can only take as you find, but i would say its been well worth the struggles of change.

Lisa

My youngest son who has language delay and autistic tendencies used to have amazing tempter tantrums where we literally couldn't do anything with him.

I decided to try cutting out some things one at a time to gauge the results. The first thing I tried was drinks with additives. All he ever drinks now is water or cranberry juice (the ocean spray one is additive free). Within a couple of days he was calmer, less hyperactive and the temper outbursts are only apparent when there is a logical reason for them (before this he would just have one for no apparent reason).

I'm convinced cutting out these sugary additive laden drinks has improved the health of all 3 of my children.

Lauren