Laddo

Today's student protests in London

So apparently thousands of students protested in London against rising tuition fees today. It's very fishy how the media rarely reports on these things until they're actually happening... And surprise surprise, the media focus is on the minority of protesters who turned violent rather than the cause behind the protest.

Did anyone know about the protest prior to today? Anyone take part in it?

Evidently not. Sigh. Does anyone even care about making positive changes any more or do people just enjoy being trodden on their whole lives?

I only find out about this kind of thing by chance, often long after the event. I don't read papers, have no TV, rarely listen to domestic radio. I care passionately about every kind of injustice but. like so many of us, I feel helpless and isolated - just the way 'They' want us to feel.

Edited by Mihaela

That's what is depressing me - people feel helpless and powerless to do anything about inequality and injustice. I believe that with enough people changes can be made, even if they're small, but so many people are made to feel like there is nothing they can do so nothing gets organised. I feel like there's no hope, no future, for both myself and a large portion of the population.

My most recent post was a little harsh and I'm sorry for that. I just feel overwhelmed by depression and anxiety at the moment but that's no excuse.

Life is so unfair for so much of the world :(

Totally agree. Short of a revolution in consciousness I can see no other solution. As long as we blindly follow the equally-blind crowd we'll only get deeper into the mire. I feel that certain Aspies, due to our more finely-tuned way of seeing reality, are far prone to 'existential depression' than most. We see things as they really are and can't comprehend how the NT world can't see what is so blindingly obvious to us. Every so often we suffer from world-weariness (what the Germans call Weltschmerz)

For many years, I've tried in my very small way to change things for the better, but we have a world dominated by toxic ideologies. It's no easy task, but I never give up.

This also makes me identify very strongly with Sehnsucht (another German word), a deep longing, but with no adequate English translation. Known in Romanian as dor, a whole genre of music is devoted to this ardent yearning (known in Bulgaria and the Balkans generally as sevdah, and the music as sevdalinka). The Portuguese also have a word for it: saudade.

"Sehnsucht represents thoughts and feelings about all facets of life that are unfinished or imperfect, paired with a yearning for ideal alternative experiences. It has been referred to as “life’s longings”; or an individual’s search for happiness while coping with the reality of unattainable wishes. Such feelings are usually profound, and tend to be accompanied by both positive and negative feelings..Psychologists have worked to capture the essence of Sehnsucht by identifying its six core characteristics: “(a) utopian conceptions of ideal development; (B) sense of incompleteness and imperfection of life; © conjoint time focus on the past, present, and future; (d) ambivalent (bittersweet) emotions; (e) reflection and evaluation of one's life; and (f) symbolic richness". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sehnsucht.

This feeling may well be very much confined to Aspies and introspective types here, but in some countries it's an inextricable aspect of their mass culture. By the way, I've written at some length on this, for it plays an enormous part in my life - even as a small child.

I do my bit. This year alone I've been on the People's Assembly demo (21 June), the People's Climate March (21 September), the Europe-wide day of action against TTIP (11 October) and the TUC anti-government demo (18 October). All with some reluctance, as noisy protest marches give me a headache (I really think they would make their point far more eloquently if they marched in dignified silence). I only got a day's notice of this student protest.

I only found out about yesterday's protest on the day. The mainstream media always seems to attempt to keep things like that hidden

Did anyone else here go on the climate march on Saturday?

Edited by Aeolienne