Laddo

Aspie meet ups

I haven't got a friend to bring. Plus ça change.

I haven't got a friend to bring

Ah balls. This is a good point. There could be a number of people in this situation. That pretty much applies to me too. I have one good friend but she’s often busy and I don’t get to see her very often.

Edited by squeeg

I don't think it needs to be essential that we bring a friend, only if we feel nervous about meeting others. I wouldn't have anyone to bring either, so I couldn't anyway. Any more thoughts?

Meet up are perhaps an idea, I am game with reservations.

I am a wheel chair user with general mobility problems, without someone taking me, there is no way I can travel any distance.

My location is just of the A4 between Newbury and Reading Berkshire, in a quiet rural spot, not served by public transport.

My PM is on, so if anyone want to pursue this idea involving awkward me, then contact me.

^This has made me think that perhaps any attendees with their own transport could assist with people who either have mobility issues or find public transport very stressful? Perhaps all attendees could chip in for petrol costs for the drivers?

If people are thinking about safety, then a daytime meet in a place like a coffee shop in a town or city centre might put them more at ease

Yes, a public meeting place is essential. All meet ups would have to be during the day, too

If anyone ships me about, I would pay for petrol. Its wether after putting up with the rather disagreeable me, they would want to anything more to do with me, and end up leaving me, saying "sort out your own transport you miserable old git". Its a risk for all the non mobile. :) or is it :(

If people are thinking about safety, then a daytime meet in a place like a coffee shop in a town or city centre might put them more at ease

And yet you're encouraging them to accept lifts from people off the internet?!

^The lifts were my idea. But as I said, it would only be for those who have mobility problems and people who can't use public transport.

I'm beginning to see some potential huge problems with this

I'm beginning to see some potential huge problems with this

I’ve had some crappy days recently so I haven’t been around but I intend to return and contribute my thoughts and ideas. I’m sure we’ll be able to work things out.

Edited by squeeg

Where a meet is, how many, are really the only important things.

I can arrange a taxi, to a train-station, and taxi onto the destination, (although an adapted taxi all the way is more likely), so can anyone else who could manage before they became disabled, I feel a bit ashamed calling myself that, in another post I said you needed to sort out a physiotherapist, I really should, it might just enable me to do as I said above.

If anyone else has a problem with funds, I have not and will help if necessary, how, thats due to a full years backdated ESA "support group". I might even have PIP, thats getting onto six months now.

So do not give up Laddo, if you can do it, I will kill myself trying. :)

OK I have setup a Skype account, nothing really could be easier.

Edit your profile and put your Skype ID in the Skype entry box.

Mine is "soggyboatman", and I really have been a soggy boat man, I have fallen in the canal!

Perhaps a skype meetup might be an idea first?

An absolutely sterling idea, Matzoball! :)

OK I have setup a Skype account, nothing really could be easier.

Edit your profile and put your Skype ID in the Skype entry box.

Mine is "soggyboatman", and I really have been a soggy boat man, I have fallen in the canal!

I've added my Skype name to my profile too. Anyone can add me if they like, although I'm not great with voice or video calls at the moment

Edited by Laddo

I too shall reply to this thread!

I have joined this Skype resolution, and I believe I must thank matzoball for the idea!

My Skype is also linked on my profile page, but I shall place it here too: Eustace1992.

I hope this can happen, I know I really need people like myself to talk to, and I think it would be good for us all.

Eustace.

Hello again,

As an added idea, - correlating with the Skype idea - perhaps we should create a separate thread wherein we can all organise a time to Skype, which could further develop into perhaps a weekly session, or more ... I don't know. Just an idea.

Eustace.

Just had a text only call with Eustace, somehow I think we may as well do that bit on a topic, Also group calling is a premium service. Have not looked into the cost yet, and dare say I could afford it. Skype has to make money somehow.

Update, thats wrong, they have made it free, I just downloaded the app?? Oh well someone forget to update the app, trust it works anyway.

To stop the camera, obscure it with a bit of tape, thats what I am going to do. Its that or a paper bag over my head! :)

Hello Waterboatman,

I sorted the camera issue ... it was just a little thing I forgot to check.

I believe you can just "call" contacts without clicking the webcam on, I mean, you can talk on Skype just like you might a mobile phone ... but then I suppose modern phones display faces ... but nonetheless, yes, you can call others without using the webcam.

All the best,

Eustace.

Hello Waterboatman,

I sorted the camera issue ... it was just a little thing I forgot to check.

I believe you can just "call" contacts without clicking the webcam on, I mean, you can talk on Skype just like you might a mobile phone ... but then I suppose modern phones display faces ... but nonetheless, yes, you can call others without using the webcam.

All the best,

Eustace.

Yes, you can just communicate with text. It can all be quite private

Hello,

I suppose what I should have said, is you can communicate with voice too, just through the microphone, as well as text. It's quite nifty actually.

Eustace.

So, I guess the Skype idea died?

I think a single topic, just for simple chit chat is desired, this will need to be pinned by the moderators.

Perhaps a moderator could create a chit-chat topic in a suitable directory and initialise with some simple rules for use to observe.

Skype is useful perhaps if we wish to hear each others voices, I think also we should be brave enough to show ourselves.

I have removed the Skype details from my profile, and from the "task" bar on my laptop, I will now only use it again for a prearranged discussion later, maybe closer to a possible meet-up or completely replacing a meet up, as we are really too dispersed. Any discussion must include such users as "Mihaela" and other northern users.

Although I use another site as well, this site will remain my main point of contact.

Ian

I used Skype for a while, but I went back to my old IM system. I found Skype was too complex and fancy for my needs. I regularly chat to a couple of people on this forum - no voice or video though..

So, I guess the Skype idea died?

I think the whole idea has died. There simply aren't enough people interested and no one agrees on anything. Every idea that has been put forward has been shot down by somebody else and no solutions have been decided on. I think it's best to just let the idea die while it still has some dignity

I think the whole idea has died. There simply aren't enough people interested and no one agrees on anything. Every idea that has been put forward has been shot down by somebody else and no solutions have been decided on. I think it's best to just let the idea die while it still has some dignity

Yes, I think on these forums, not many people wish to do chat on Skype, nevertheless, the forum remains a great place to type to one another.

There is another forum called Asperclick where they have organised group Skype chats every Saturday. For those of you who wish to do this, I would suggest talking to the members from that forum.

Thank you all again anyway,

Eustace.

There is nothing quite so mad, as a box of frogs.

or is there?

?

It's defeatist and pessimistic to say that the idea has died. There are positive posts on this thread, and I'd be happy to meet people locally - Verbeia, Exodus and KalamityKat are all in my part of the world. I use Bitwise IM - I find it easier than Skype for me. Anyone here is welcome to chat to me there.

I was at the video project yesterday and we all get on well, so there's no need to feel shy about meeting others on the spectrum. :)

No, it's realistic to say the idea has died. Huge difference. Read through the topic and you'll find that no one is agreeing on anything and there's little practicality involved

I'm up for skype/Bitwise IM. I made a Bitwise IM profile with the same username as on here. The skype is also the same. I am I frequent user of skype and I love the rapid pace with it, which is a lot easier than forming a response here.

I've just been put on the waiting list for an assessment, and phoned Carmarthenshire Adult Autism Advice to see if they could offer any support while I'm waiting. I had a great chat on the phone, and the person who runs it (it's part of Carmarthenshire County Council) said that she's tried to organise some local meetings, but hadn't got anywhere yet. But she knows a couple of people who do want to meet up with others, and she's going to try to arrange something. Hopefully she'll be phoning me next week.

She's suggesting we meet with her for a coffee somewhere, maybe just for half an hour to see how it goes. That seems like a great start. She seems really keen to provide support. I don't know if other local authorities have similar arrangements.

That sounds wonderful! My local authority has nothing like that. If they had it would have saved me so much trouble. I was pushed around from one agency to another for ages.

Edited by Mihaela

Hello again everyone,

I have also joined the BitWise train, my username is Eustace (surprise surprise). I would love to join you for a few chats!

Eustace.

I will no longer use either Skype or Bitwise IM, too many possibilities for misunderstandings exist and it is in reality too stressful for me. As for any possible meetings, my normal difficulties for coping with people are likely to be present, as I can not know in advance wether I am on a opiate day or one of the following "rest" days.

My apologies, I shall not participate now in either a meeting or on-line chat.

That's a shame. I enjoyed our few chats on BW, and found you interesting. You were also easy to talk to and seemed to enjoy it.

Where did you get to, Eustace and Laddo? I still talk regularly to two others from this forum and we get on so well that we're now we're planning to meet in person - so it looks like two meet-ups will actually be happening quite soon. :)

Edited by Mihaela

Hiya - I'm very new here, - up for meet ups. There is a website for a cheshire charitable organisation that says it does meet ups for adults locally, and this'll be sussed out by me soon.

I, have, have, have to use an e cigarette when impersonating sociability btw.

If i were a pizza it would be liquorice and swan.

Edited by Alexanderplatz