Emma Optomen TV

BBC Project - Aspergers and Employment

I am a producer with a TV company called Optomen. I am developing a project for the BBC looking for people with Asperger's who have struggled to get a job. The idea of the project is to look at the science of how people who are considered to have a neuro-diversity area an asset to an employer focusing on individual strengths, rather than difficulties.

If you would like to find out more, please e-mail Emma at employme@optomen.com

Thank you

Upto the age of 45, I was able to obtain employment with small 'computer' orientated companies headed by intelligent people who understood me. These companies no longer exist and the opportunities that I had are no more. These were the days before the internet and 'Computer Science' degrees. Although my last job was for an email marketing company, gamekeeper turned poacher, as I had in the past written anti-spam email filtering software for my previous company.

Primary discrimination was as far as CV's, my age, next if I got to an interview, interesting excuses used as to why they would not hire me.

After my years as being a full time carer, at about 50 or so, I tried again, youngsters do not want an old experienced weirdo showing them up as the the fairly useless normal people they are.

Now in the twilight of my years, and considered to be so much of an unemployable wreck that ATOS put on the 'Support Group' of ESA. The only people interested in me now are doctors, not this condition? a referral to see someone else, maybe its that ???? Try this pain pill!

I would so much like to be able to be of some use! A general all rounder, good on the phone.

Emma what exactly are you proposing? I am reluctant to use one of my real email addresses. And rather all is completely out in the open. TV production company rings alarm bells, I am not a shrinking violet, yet am wary of anything to do with the media. My 'PM' is off, and is staying off, anything that anyone wants to say to me, is to be completely public.

I've emailed Emma expressing my interest. Not sure how much I want to have my chequered work history on national TV, however.

I checked the Optomen site and had a look at their productions and couldn't find a single one with any content of quality, quite the opposite if what I saw was anything to go by; trash mostly.

They are trying to find people to film for a documentary they are pitching to Channel 4 and BBC - they've approached my company as part of it so they are on the level.

However I have to be clear in that even if you do want to participate, it's not guaranteed that you will be in the show. TV production companies operate in a very different way than you would expect, so if you do want to get involved, make sure you have support on hand, be aware of your energy levels, and do not feel obligated to do things that you don't feel comfortable with.

This is also not mandatory.

If you have any questions, Emma will be more than happy to answer them, she's very friendly and approachable :)

Emma hasn't replied to my email yet, although I see she's been posting here.

The series is in the can - first episode goes out on BBC2 tomorrow.
Employable Me

Although I did take part, my contribution has been reduced to a 10-minute film which will be available to view on BBC3 from 31 March. Not sure how long for, but the producers think probably more than the usual 30 days.​

Edited by Aeolienne

Six days later than originally stated, my film is finally online:

www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tag/docs

Any comments gratefully received! :)

I'm watching the programs and finding them encouraging. Employable me is a great series.

Having watched all three episodes on BBC2, I can understand why the producers thought that the other Asperger participants were more in need of a lucky break than me - especially Ashley (the Victorian gentleman in ep 2) and Ben (the law graduate in ep 3).

Regarding Ben, was I the only one thinking: "50 job applications in four years? You need to up your game!"

I've been interviewed for local radio about my experience on 'Employable Me' - you can hear me at 1 hr 33 min, and again at 1 hr 46 min.

Link (26 days left to listen)