Sign in to follow this  
Laddo

Setting up support groups

I am quite interesting in the idea of setting up a support group for people with ASDs in my area, as there is currently nothing like this within a 30 mile radius. I was just wondering if anyone has done this themselves, and if so, if they can give me any pointers. I want to give something back to the community after years and years of taking. I also want to do this for myself, as my life is so very empty and currently has no meaning. I know it makes the whole thing slightly self-centred in concept, but if it helps other people, why not?

Edited by Laddo

I wouldn't know how best to go about doing this, but maybe the Autism Society could help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

There are: KCC commissioned groups throughout the county.

Dartford, Gravesend, Maidstone, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Sittingbourne, Margate, Canterbury, Folkestone, Dover, Ashford

Like M says, I think self-help groups with fellow aspies is better, because a lot of NT people do not understand us, as I come to learn from being screwed over by these so-called "professionals" that could not even be honest about my support workers not working with me anymore.

I've never been in Number 6 for quite a while. It is in Edinburgh and they run all kinds of groups. I kind of started to give up on the thought of a social life due to anxiety. I've found it hard just going in Tesco at night to buy a milkshake. Social events can be scary because you are often interacting with strange people.

I agree with you, Gold. Self-help groups with no NT presence would be my choice. They can never fully understand us, however much they claim to..

Too right. What that Autism Initiatives put me through has damaged my confidence, a lot. Now they are just trying to cover their asses.

Too bad about my flat as well. I liked that flat. I had been in it since 2011. They clearly have no morals if they tricked me into signing away my tenancy because of my emotional state, otherwise called manipulation. The rent problem is not even that bad so they had a cheek using that as yet another exploitable excuse to use against me, just like everything else.

I called the place that deals with the H.B. and it appears I may have been duped. Then after I told this Cathy that I still wanted to live there and get the rent issue rectified, she said she had already signed away the lease to stop any debt, with immediate effect.

What a tart. I've been royally screwed over by that company. That does wonders for my confidence. Not!

I was never that confident anyway. I also nearly have panic attacks in shops. I get adrenaline rushes and it causes me to become anxious. I'm not sure how to halt this anxiety. It also prevents me from going anywhere far away. It looks like I will be stuck feeling crappy for quite some time.

Unfortunately, my good friend is upstairs in that accommodation. That is why it was good being there. And I am still probably going to be banned from that street after the court case is over. That is because Sara and Joanna use flat 1 to work in.

Gee. I have to lose my flat of 3 plus years, all because of them. I also don't really go to Number 6 any longer. I used to go infrequently in the past, but since it is associated with that A.I. company, it is hard to go in there now.

http://number6.org.uk/