Sign in to follow this  
templek

asperger's and assembling things, slow learning

Does anyone know if there is a link or feature of aspergers and slow learning? I am not talking learning difficulties, just slow to pick up things and perform certain tasks?

Do sufferers have a problem putting things together or using hands, assembling/sorting which is what i have. I am dreadful at assembling flat pack furniture, basic DIY, basic car mechanical work. When I was in army I had problems assembling things and doing basic drill to arrange equipment learning to do knots and lashings. I just kept thinking too much about what may go wrong 'if that happened' or 'it that bit isn't in right' etc when it was simple almost common sense. Some thought I was dim And always needed guidance

At my job now in the postal service it involves a lot of careful sorting I am very slow at sorting the mail it can take me up to four hours when most can do it around 30-45 min or less. Also takes me double time to deliver the mail some can do two walks in time it takes me to do one. I am a slow leArner but if I do the same walk and sorting for at least a month after third week I am as fast as everyone else. I am just slow at getting to the required pace as the others. The managers know this and bosses waS there when it happened and congratulated me. But they won't give me my own walk and do a different one each day or same for just a week because they don't like people complaining about late deliveries every day for first few weeks. So its not easy for me at work

Point is i worked most of my adult work in an office environment in civil service. I was constantlly behind a keyboard, also writing and studying at the Open University and doing evening classes. I used to do a lot of reports and write ups on message boards, fans lists etc and unpaid journalism work. I used to indulge in poetry. After quitting to go to university to do media and film studies, i have not worked in an office environment post uni days. My writing skills have gone rusty. Was just wondering if i have classic problem of 'nerds' who try their luck at 'practical' work using hands and are not suited to it?

Another thing if i am diagnosed, i have not been yet, do i get a letter confirming this? I was wondering if i showed this to my bosses to show i have a condition they may relinquish and let me do the same delivery each day and get better over time

Do sufferers have a problem putting things together or using hands, assembling/sorting which is what i have. I am dreadful at assembling flat pack furniture, basic DIY, basic car mechanical work.

I'm like this too. I'm pretty useless at all those things however much I try. Yet I'm good at embroidery and building (and designing) valve-type radio equipment - receivers, transmitters, oscilloscopes, etc! I'm good at assembling little parts but not working with big unwieldy stuff. I think my flat-pack failures are partly due to struggling to make sense of the instructions. I don't like getting my hands dirty or oily either. I like messing about in the garden, but not digging or mowing lawns. Knots have always tied me in knots!

I have problems with all kinds of other things too, such as setting digital clocks, video timers, programming TVs, using mobile phones in any way other than very basic, getting the hang of many computer-related processes. Facebook will always confuse me. I think I have an analogue mind!

At my job now in the postal service it involves a lot of careful sorting I am very slow at sorting the mail it can take me up to four hours when most can do it around 30-45 min or less. Also takes me double time to deliver the mail some can do two walks in time it takes me to do one.

I think I'd be slow at first, for I wouldn't want to make mistakes.

My writing skills have gone rusty. Was just wondering if i have classic problem of 'nerds' who try their luck at 'practical' work using hands and are not suited to it?

Luckily I've kept up my writing skills, as I've done a lot of writing throughout my life. I suppose I'm abit nerdish, but I'd never make a computer geek. I'm self-taught over using computers and I probably don't use them as efficiently as most. I seem to have my own way of doing things -anything - even peeling carrots! I suffer from slight dyspraxia, which certain simple processes less easy for me than for most.

Another thing if i am diagnosed, i have not been yet, do i get a letter confirming this?

If you don't get one, you can always ask for one but I imagine you would.

I was wondering if i showed this to my bosses to show i have a condition they may relinquish and let me do the same delivery each day and get better over time

My twin aspie cousins are postmen, and used to work together on the same round. Employers are legally obliged to make any reasonable adjustments once made aware of a diagnosis.

I assume there is since people on the spectrum have brains that seem to process patterns different to regular people, I am slow to learn something as I get confused but once I have a little experience I am fine and with a little more than that I become very efficent and good at a task to the point I surpass regular people, worked well when I was in a call centre position since I not only reached targets(often reached a months targets in less than a week)

I remember that up till about a year ago I was bad at repairing laptops despite taking apart pcs since 2004(mostly just adding a graphics card or new ram though) and in 2006 building first once from scratch that took me a few hours now I can build one in about 20 minutes if not less and I took apart one laptop and it was a disaster, then waited 3 years and tried another that was the same and this time found it simple though I think the problem with the first one was I didnt take a photo or write down where cables went or which way round parts of case went, shame laptop was dead though.

I also remember when I was a few years old, which was the late 80s at school I did a computer course in about 30 minutes that was supposed to take 5 days! I did intentionally rush it though, but got all answers right and so the teachers made me help the other kids and I beat other kids at games I was experienced at and even if it was a game I wasnt used to as soon as I learned my opponents pattern I used to give them no chance.