Arctic

Asperger's and schizophrenia

HI all,

Does anyone else here have a dual diagnosis of Asperger's and schizophrenia (or a similar psychotic illness)? How do you manage with auditory and visual hallucinations? Also, how do you manage anxiety (which, for me, is a significant symptom caused equally by social situations and the nature of the things I see / voices I hear. Does anyone here have similar problems? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Arctic

i have a dual diagnosis of complex post-traumatic stress disorder and aspergers. i get auditory flashbacks which i find are well controlled with risperdall which also helps with my anxiety.

May I ask how old you are. The reason I ask is my son is due to have an ados at the end of the month. He is 8. He is very explicit about the things he hears and sees. I would love to know what it is u see and hear. He suffers extreme anxiety as a result. Camhs tell me it is too rare to be schizophrenia and more likely sensory but the voices are outside his head and the hallucinations anytime anywhere and no actual explanation .....

You could look into sensory processing disorder.

A woman called Olga Bogdashina has done a number of books/seminars about this subject.

If your son is very precise about what he hears/sees, does that tie in with what he could have heard or seen? Or could it be things he has seen or heard earlier [hours days or months before], but is processing them much later and mixing them up?

I have been trying to rack my brains for a long time a out the things he does see. They are not things relating to what he has previously see or known. For instance. He Was running the tap for a drink at school and he said the water was red. When he asked someone they told him don't be silly. When he liked again it was red and so went without drinks for a few days. He also offer saw women pushing pushchairs in the playground at playtime. All the kids wee running through them but when he tried they were like brick walls. He also sees 3 shadows start in the corner of his room creep up and over him blocking out light. He here's 2 sorts of voices. He calls them demons and angels. The demons tell him to do dreadful things. Camhs believe it's sensory but it just doesn't feel right to me. There are a few peeps with schizophrenia on my side of family. All female though. He does fit the bill for SPD and poss ASD.

Sorry about my late arrival. The borderline between sensory processing disorder and early-onset schizophrenia is pretty blurred at such a young age. It also overlaps with synaesthesia, ideaesthesia (such as the red water) and the vivid imaginations that are so typical of many children. Imagining scary things in a dark room is very common, and not only among children. (I have always slept with a nightlight). Hearing 'good' and 'bad' voices is only a short step further. His identifying them with angels and demons sounds quite logical to a sensitive and imaginative child. Usually, these kind of of experiences in childhood are short-lived - lasting a year or two.

I was wondering whether your son was under a lot of stress at school. Are his symptoms of the same nature and intensity both at home and at school or do they differ? If he is suffering stress, maybe due to sensory overload, bullying, etc. then reducing the causes of that stress may well reduce his delusions. I know that when I was under great stress (as an adult) I suffered many odd delusions - although I was always aware that they weren't quite 'real'. When the stress went, they went too.

They are the same intensity at school and at home. He first said he was hearing and seeing things a year and a half ago but said he had done for some time. Then was scared to keep talking about them. It's only just before Christmas that it all came to light again when he had he also has said he doesn't want to be here anymore and wants to kill himself. He said he bangs his head against a wall to stop the voices. The voices do tell him to do awful things but he tells them no. He is so frightened to be on his own. He feels something is out to get him. The stairs are his biggest fear. He feels people are coming down them to get him. We live a very restricted life in the house. He is very aggressive and angry but suffers a lot of panic attacks too.

It sounds more serious than sensory processing disorder to me. (I've re-read Olga Bogdashina's work on this, and it doesn't seem to fit your son). From what you're telling me, I don't think CAMHS are getting it right - or doing anything like enough, especially if he has suicidal thoughts. They're right about childhood schizophrenia being rare - but it's not unknown, and they shouldn't blithely sweep away the possibility. He needs more than an ADOS test, and needs to see a good child psychiatrist with wide experience of autism and co-morbid conditions. The sooner the better. Is he currently taking any medication? He may be suffering from adverse side effects.

Edited by Mihaela

Thank u for reading about this xx he has no medication. They do not want to give him anything. Even to help him sleep. Till the ados is complete. In total he has seen camhs 3 times as emer appt with quick assessments once when he first told me he hears voices and sees things. A year and a a half ago. Then just before Xmas when he was top listed for neuro but they felt no camhs input needed even when he sat there a quite clearly told them how he had thought about killing himself. And what the voices tell him to do. The nurse peactitioner told me he didn't think he was psychotic. But needed urgent assessment. My son is so calm and collected when he meets them ? And lastly in hospital. No psychiatrist has even thought this urgent enough to see him. In fact apart from a name on paper I almost believed they don't exist. They are so far out of reach. It's half term. I am just managing each day as best I can. As I always do. I am dreading tonight. My mum had my boys to sleep last night. He settles better in her bungalow but now he is home to sleep. I just feel that all this is downplayed all the time. The last time he was seen the letter tried to focus on sprration anxiety. Trust me my son doesn't have a problem speaking. He is just scared to be on his own

Hi all,

I'm 25 and have been having visual and auditory hallucinations for the past 10 years. I hear whispers, random words, derogatory statements about me/other people, instructions (often to do something bad) and a running commentary on what I do. I see human figures/silhouettes, animals, fire and a grren face who is also responsible for some of the auditory hallucinations (he has a voice as well as a visual presence). The Asperger's make social situations difficult, but the voices and visions add to this and make social situations very uncomfortable and sometimes draining. It is interesting to read what you have all written, particularly 100acrewood's son. Childhood schizophrenia is rare, but not unheard of, so it could well be the case that your son has it, 100acrewood.

Arctic

Artic thanks for the reply. The list of things you see and hear seem to ring true for him. Although today after seeing the beginning of a music video he said he saw people who jump scared him appear out of the ground and keeps seeing faces in the TV. And just appearing out of nowhere. We had a half hour of panic and anger. Not as bad as usual. He also heard music and whispering but no one in particular this time. Still trying to quiet him down with bath and supper but still on edge. Other times he describes a voice of a 30 year old man. He's angry and gruffly ( his words). Everyone just wants to wait till ados and adi r done.am on stand by tonight if he goes into any panic fear mode I will be taking him to a and e. Did u find that when other people spoke to you about things you could remain matter of fact and calm.

Hey 100acrewood,

How is your son today? Did you manage to calm him down? I have found that I can't always remain calm when people talk to me when I am having an 'episode'. He must be frightened :unsure: I often get the feeling that the TV is talking to me - does he get that too? Is he on any medication? I hope that when the ADOS and ADI are done that he will get the help he needs.

Arctic

Thank u for asking Arctic. I have done everything to keep him occupied and we went to friends for most of day who is more understanding than I thought. So we had a better day. But with a few glitches. I am counting down the days to ados. Which is a week tomorrow. The support worker was amazing cos actually said everything I have done so far has been perfect and he can clearly see they are loved and they love me. Amazing for someone to see this. It was a comfort. I am going to chase camhs again tomorrow. ☺

Hi 100acrewood,

Glad you had a better day and managed to keep him occupied. Fingers crossed that after the ADOS he will be able to get the help he needs. It's great that the support worker recognises the good things you have done :) Any luck with CAMHS? If you ever need to talk, drop me a message :)

Arctic