Paula

Aspie son voted

I had a little tiny tear in my eye as me and my son went to vote today him for the first time down at the school where 16 years ago they said why bother sending him to a special school it will do no good he will never learn to read or write or do much...........

Well today my 21 yr old son went back to that school to vote and guess what it was worth the bother sending him to a special school because he can read,write, he travals independantley hes a disabled sports ambassador and volunteers in a sports centre twice a week and is working towards gaineing a supported paide job................so stick that in youre "we know whats best for youre son " hat.

Weve come a long way from the first time i posted on here worrying over his bowels and what the future might hold.

Never give up hope and remember the steps are small and you often dont notice any progress but there makeing it.

It must be so satisfying to prove the 'experts' wrong - as they so often are! You have a son to be proud of. :)

By the way, I'm so out of touch that I had no idea that elections took place here until yesterday when somebody asked me what I thought of the results! I'd vaguely noticed all the signs around advertising political parties (illegal in many European countries), so I knew some election was imminent, but that was all I knew.

Great news, Paula, that your lad is doing so well, a lot of which is down to your hard work so you should be proud.

My lad also voted. He wasn't sure at first, but I encouraged him to be part of it even if he didn't have strong views and I'm proud that he did it.

~ Mel ~

Thats a great success and shows that what your told isnt always the way things are. Like you and your son everybody should keep doing their best and achieve what its posible to do not what somebody thinks it could be.