JeanneA

Back in Time

Hi, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced their child suddenly at 21 seemingly thinking they are back in the past, i.e. saying things like: 'I want respite', 'I don't want School'. Glen for the past few months has been saying these things and getting very upset when saying 'I don't want School'. Glen's school days were very unhappy times for him so I can understand why he would get upset, but when he speaks it sounds like he thinks he's in the past again.

I can't say I've heard of this before but I do not have a child of any age that I live with, I don't know the situation as to your circumstances is he on any medication that may have been recently changed that could have caused a change in memory or perception.

yes i do as part of my complex post traumatic stress disorder.

Could be that he's just remembering those unhappy days, Jeanne and doesn't know how else to express it other than saying he doesn't want it. Maybe it's his way of saying he didn't like it or he wished it had been different but hasn't the vocabulary to say it that way so can only say it in his own words. Or maybe he worries that he will have to go back to school one day and needs reassuring that he won't ever have to go there again.

~ Mel ~

Thanks, makes sense, Glen probably does need to be reassured that he won't go back to these places. They did tell him that at the care home when he said he didn't want to go to School and now he's going on about respite, I will have to mention this to the hospital staff to reassure him that he won't be going back to respite.

It doesn't really surprise me. For several years after I'd left school I suffered odd states of unreality, as if I'd have to go back to school at any time. Although I never expressed this fear to my parents, I did still feel it, but knew that rationally it made no sense. For Glen such feelings must be a lot more difficult to handle.

I agree with you trekster, about it being linked to C-PTSD. School was extremely traumatic for me and has caused lifelong damage.

Edited by trekster

I don't agree with schools and their methods of teaching, your right they do create traumatic experiences there is nothing that is relevant to an individual child their needs and personality.

It's like producing mass preprogrammed people to fulfil the needs of profit making company's a materialistic world needing duplicates to maintain its hold on society in the name of greed and self interest.

Anybody with common sense can see the obvious flaws in the education system but so many people do not see the damage this is causing even with all the problems around them everyday.