Eirlys

Hello there

Hello, I'm Eirlys and I'm new. I'm almost 30, married, and have a diagnosis of "severe" Asperger's.

There's a bit of autism in my family - my husband has traits, his sister a diagnosis of High Functioning Autism; plus, his brother and my sister had traits in childhood, but seem fine now.

I really enjoy books, writing letters, foreign languages, and tea.

It's nice to "meet" you all. :)

Hello Eirlys, and welcome! Hmm, I don't know what 'severe' Asperger's is supposed to mean. 'High functioning is another term that confuses me. It's all relative. We may be weak in our own particular areas. If severity is measured according to anxiety and executive dysfunction, then I too have severe traits and I'm low functioning. :)

"reading, writing letters, gardens, tea, exploring, crosswords, stillness" - me too, all of them! Do you have any favourite languages? I'm interested in language, words and languages in general - quite obsessively. I stick to European languages and my main interests are French, Romanian and the Slavic group.

I suspect 6 or 7 members of my family had/have undiagnosed Asperger's - all on my mother's side, including her, her own mother and my brother.

Edited by Mihaela

Hello Eirlys

Welcome to the site, I'm sure your going to enjoy the time you spend here people are friendly helpful and there is a great deal of information you will find useful I'm sure.

Like Mihaela I'm not sure what you mean by severe Aspergers was it something you were told at your diagnosis or from another source of information.

You mentioned you enjoy reading what sort of material do you like read, I like writing also or playing with words I find it a far better way of expressing myself than I ever could verbally.

Look forward to getting to know more about you within the threads.

Hello Eirlys, and welcome! Hmm, I don't know what 'severe' Asperger's is supposed to mean. 'High functioning is another term that confuses me. It's all relative. We may be weak in our own particular areas. If severity is measured according to anxiety and executive dysfunction, then I too have severe traits and I'm low functioning. :)

"reading, writing letters, gardens, tea, exploring, crosswords, stillness" - me too, all of them! Do you have any favourite languages? I'm interested in language, words and languages in general - quite obsessively. I stick to European languages and my main interests are French, Romanian and the Slavic group.

I suspect 6 or 7 members of my family had/have undiagnosed Asperger's - all on my mother's side, including her, her own mother and my brother.

Hello, and thank you for the welcome. :)
Yes, by "severe" - I think I mean low-functioning? The word "severe" is on my diagnosis. I need loads of help with stuff 'cause I'm super forgetful and really clumsy. My husband looks after me; it's his job to make sure I'm fed, showered, and to take me outside, etc. (NB: just reading that back, I sound like a pet!) Sounds kind of bad being an "adult" and you can't look after yourself.. gets me down sometimes.. even though I don't feel like an adult but still. :( Don't ask me about the HFA, 'cause I've no idea - it's how it's written on her diagnosis. Maybe there's not an authority on these things. o_O
I love European languages, too. I tend to stick to the more Germanic languages, especially the nordic ones. I'm really fascinated by the grammar.. I have a whole selection of books on grammar.. and it's always exciting to dip into them. :)

Hello Eirlys

Welcome to the site, I'm sure your going to enjoy the time you spend here people are friendly helpful and there is a great deal of information you will find useful I'm sure.

Like Mihaela I'm not sure what you mean by severe Aspergers was it something you were told at your diagnosis or from another source of information.

You mentioned you enjoy reading what sort of material do you like read, I like writing also or playing with words I find it a far better way of expressing myself than I ever could verbally.

Look forward to getting to know more about you within the threads.

Thank you for the welcome. Everyone seems really friendly so far from what I've read. :) I love words. I like to write letters to people in other countries, or I did until they put the stamp prices up.. again. I like to read crime-books, and books about history. What about you?

Interesting:

Yes, by "severe" - I think I mean low-functioning? The word "severe" is on my diagnosis. I need loads of help with stuff 'cause I'm super forgetful and really clumsy. My husband looks after me; it's his job to make sure I'm fed, showered, and to take me outside, etc. (NB: just reading that back, I sound like a pet!) Sounds kind of bad being an "adult" and you can't look after yourself.. gets me down sometimes.. even though I don't feel like an adult but still. :(
They tend to use the low-functioning label for people with severe learning disabilities. Clearly you don't fall into that group. I'm very like you from what you say. My parents made sure I was fed, took me out, reminded me to shower, etc. And, no I don't feel at all like an adult either - nor would I want to. After my mother died in 2012, life has become very difficult, and I'm constantly having to fight for support. You're very lucky to have a husband who cares for you in that way.

I tend to stick to the more Germanic languages, especially the nordic ones.

As long as you keep well away from Finnish :D (I know it's not Nordic, but it that part of the world).

I'm really fascinated by the grammar.. I have a whole selection of books on grammar.. and it's always exciting to dip into them.

Me too! I have around 3000 books, including a lengthy and obscure tome on Russian dialects in very great detail. Aren't we weird! :)

Welcome from someone with similar interests to you.

I collect postage stamps and enjoyed getting letters from abroad or did until I realised why......the gluten in the stamps was addictive. Once I stopped licking the stamps and eating gluten and dairy I had a much clearer head.

I forget to eat drink sleep do coursework and other basic stuff like you but was diagnosed 'mild aspergers' which basically meant I was mild on the day! I also need help cooking but as we all need support sometimes in our life am fine relying on others for nutrition. I still choose my own food.

I speak a little Spanish and French and have been to those countries on holiday speaking those languages including Tenerife.

Welcome from someone with similar interests to you.

I collect postage stamps and enjoyed getting letters from abroad or did until I realised why......the gluten in the stamps was addictive. Once I stopped licking the stamps and eating gluten and dairy I had a much clearer head.

I forget to eat drink sleep do coursework and other basic stuff like you but was diagnosed 'mild aspergers' which basically meant I was mild on the day! I also need help cooking but as we all need support sometimes in our life am fine relying on others for nutrition. I still choose my own food.

I speak a little Spanish and French and have been to those countries on holiday speaking those languages including Tenerife.

I also need help with cooking as it's impossible for me to cook a meal I have tried over the years but the results were less than palatable. I also nearly seriously cut my wrist but I was extremely lucky and it was only a slight cut which didn't cut deeply into the skin.

My partner does the company cooking and has a set of very sharp cooking knives and I'm not allowed to touch them or even wash them up just in case I have an accident with them.

I don't know how the word company entered into the last sentence must be predictive text again.

I need loads of help with stuff 'cause I'm super forgetful and really clumsy. My husband looks after me; it's his job to make sure I'm fed, showered, and to take me outside, etc. (NB: just reading that back, I sound like a pet!) Sounds kind of bad being an "adult" and you can't look after yourself.. gets me down sometimes.. even though I don't feel like an adult but still

I also am very forgetful with day to day things that my brain has not interest in.

my gf looks after me and remembers things for me, I cook and clean and fix things around the house and also feel like a pet or unpaid staff sometimes. it is or at least can be, somewhat humiliating at times, but I like to think that I look after her as much as she looks after me.

she is required to remind me of things that surround 'time' and helps me with my paperwork reading and writing letters as I often misread things and write unrelated responses that don't make sense (to NT's) and often offend people. so I also let me gf talk to strangers when we are out.

its good that your husband is supportive and understanding, my gf is learning bless her

I also find myself learning social chit chat from my 3 year old daughter who loves to show off to me what she has learnt when I see her every fortnight. shes amazing and so clever and amazingly social im so proud of her but also somewhat humility about the fact that she knows more about about being social than I do. I just hope I don't let her down not joining in when there are social events. she loves partys and says hello to everyone we meet. I seem to be confident enough to go to town when im with her, even though I cant communicate to strangers like she does.

as for languages I seem to be currently interested in Chinese Mandarin, although I used to learn catonese, I also have interest in Spanish and french

Welcome

I have similar interest in languages, this could be how they are spoken, spelt to places names how they are themed or share name with something and i'm doing a database where i'm trying sort all places into category order to see where they all fit in

I'm huge fan of places Like Beer, Sandwich and Wool and along that line of things

Haha! me too. I make lists of odd place-names (such as Wibtoft, Potto, Melbury Bubb and Ugley), odd words (like Filigree, Syzygy Lek and Blet). Moths and fungi have some pretty amazing names too. These exercises calm me down at night. I also invent my own alphabets, languages and grammar, play with French puns, prime numbers, number sequences, etc. Yes, many would say I was mad!

Haha! me too. I make lists of odd place-names (such as Wibtoft, Potto, Melbury Bubb and Ugley), odd words (like Filigree, Syzygy Lek and Blet). Moths and fungi have some pretty amazing names too. These exercises calm me down at night. I also invent my own alphabets, languages and grammar, play with French puns, prime numbers, number sequences, etc. Yes, many would say I was mad!

I wouldn't say you were mad being able to do those things require a giood degree of intelligence and intellect. Some people may not understand that but to be able to do those things and understand it would be something I would enjoy being able to do.

I have a very limited intelligence I've been told not to say those things but I see it as a fact I cant do anything like that or work out anything complex it's how I was born.

Well, what you think you lack in intelligence is certainly made up for by your very sensible and intelligently-thought-out posts. I think you might underestimate yourself. Anyway, intelligence isn't as important than feelings. People with Williams-Beuren syndrome tend to have low IQ's, but they make up for with their exceptional empathy. We can learn a lot from them.

Well, what you think you lack in intelligence is certainly made up for by your very sensible and intelligently-thought-out posts. I think you might underestimate yourself. Anyway, intelligence isn't as important than feelings. People with Williams-Beuren syndrome tend to have low IQ's, but they make up for with their exceptional empathy. We can learn a lot from them.

Thank you for your kind comments I do try to structure my thoughts and spend a lot of time thinking not only about my own problems but society and moral issues and human nature in general.

Where practicality is concerned I struggle to achieve basic tasks which others find easy to do and whether it's true in its totality I've always been thought of as slow and stupid be it when at school or in a working environment.

I've never heard of Williams Beuren syndrome I will have to search that to find out more details on it.