Mr Salvador

Abilify / Aripiprazole??

My partner chats to many people at her works who have all manner of mental health issues as she works at medium secure unit. some of whom are on anti-phycotics.

in one hand it may seem sensible for her to have the trade she has and on the other hand I am slightly nervous just to trust everything she says about medication so im asking you guys on here hoping il get honest and logical responses

does anyone currently take Abilify?

some sights are saying they are the wonder cure for all mental health and other sources say that having 'sudden death' on the side effects is not worth taking it

I don't want to anger the people who care about me, but at the same time im not sure if I could logically justify taking a chance on something that says there is a chance I could just die on the spot??

any thoughts?

I would not consider taking this medication how can even the slightest chance of sudden death inspire to calm the mind in any way. I find it incredible that this is actually a serious consideration or that it is allowed to be prescribed.

I haven't heard of this medication or know anything about it and I know very little about the advantages of taking medication to help with conditions of the mind in relation to side effects.

It goes against all my natural instincts and moral codes to give medication that can kill, if somebody wishes you to take this then I would advise that they take it first if they believe it to be safe.

I find myself getting angry that this could even be a consideration and hope that this is a joke and not real. If it is then for people with health conditions to be subjected to the risk of death no matter how remote goes against the ethical code of medical practice in my opinion.

I've just looked it up on Wikipedia, and It's enough to put anyone off:

Side effects include: neuroleptic malignant syndrome, a movement disorder known as tardive dyskinesia, and high blood sugar in those with diabetes.In the elderly there is an increased risk of death.

Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) is a life-threatening neurological disorder most often caused by an adverse reaction to neuroleptic or antipsychotic drugs. NMS typically consists of muscle rigidity, fever, autonomic instability, and cognitive changes such as delirium, and is associated with elevated plasma creatine phosphokinase.

Autism - Short-term data (8 weeks) shows reduced irritability, hyperactivity, and stereotypy. Adverse effects included weight gain, sleepiness, drooling and tremors. Long-term outcomes are not clear.

Abilify, Aripiprex) is an atypical antipsychotic. It is recommended and primarily used in the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Other uses include as an add-on treatment in major depressive disorder, tic disorders, and irritability associated with autism

Side-effects:

Very Common (>10% incidence)
  • Weight gain
  • Headache
  • Agitation
  • Insomnia
  • Anxiety
  • Nausea & vomiting
  • Akathisia — a sense of unease and restlessness that presents itself with anxiety
  • Lightheadedness
  • Constipation
Common (1-10% incidence)
  • Dizziness
  • Dyspepsia — indigestion
  • Somnolence — which is usually mild and transient and less severe than that seen with most antipsychotics.[6]
  • Fatigue
  • Restlessness
  • Dry mouth
  • Extrapyramidal side effects (e.g. dystonia, parkinsonism, tremor, etc.)
  • Orthostatic hypotension
  • Musculoskeletal stiffness
  • Abdominal discomfort
  • Blurred vision
  • Cough
  • Pain
  • Myalgia
  • Rash
  • Rhinitis
Uncommon (0.1-1% incidence)
Rare (<0.1%)

Sudden unexplained death has been reported, however the frequency is unknown.

Reading all this hardly reassures me,so I think I'd give it a miss and let the manufacturers make their millions without my help.