JeanneA

Propanolol

Has anyone got experience with Propanolol? Glen was prescribed this medication just over 2 weeks to go to help with aggression. I have read up about it and it sounds really good. Unfortunately this week Glen has been particularly aggressive, but of course it's early days. I would appreciate any comments thanks.

hi, I take propranolol. it is a beta-blocker and it helps to slow down and regulate heart rhythem so that the stress doesn't escalate due to physical symptoms.

it doesn't affect anything to do with the mind, so if his aggression is frustration based, there is only so much that the beta-blockers can do. they also only seem to be effective for me if I have take them before the stress happens.

I also take amyltriptiline for mood enhancer, in low doseages (I take 20-30mg per day) it is used for mood enhancement and anxiety, only high doses over 100mg really are for depression. its quite good and I have been much calmer since I have been taking them both together. apparently they give 50mg to children to stop bed-wetting so 30-mg for a 6ft male as me seems harmless enough, but helps a lot.

as per the rules of the forum I am not allowed to make suggestions to you about this, I am not a doctor, I am sharing my views with you so that you may better your research and understanding for Glen.

Thank you very much for your comments, much appreciated.

I am on this, it controls my panic attacks due to my anxiety. But I need to have antidepressants, amitriptyline is mainly used for my pain for fibromyalgia which is a tricycle antidepressant, and fluoxetine which is an SSRI. I am on 80mg of propranolol, 20mg of amitriptyline and 40mg on fluoextine

Thanks special talent I'm so pleased the propranolol helps with your panic attacks I'm helping it will do the same for Glen. I guess it's still early days as yet, although he has been better over the weekend, his anxiety has decreased staff were telling me.