Mikecunniffe

How do Members with travel with ASD and Aspergers

Hello guys and girls

I'm in early days of researching my business idea, the idea of setting up a travel argent and service for Less abled and disabled.

So i'm wondering how people on this forum found it to go on holiday or booking a holiday.

By knowing this it will me planning a better service for you.

If you want to know more please ask

I think the priority would be to ensure that the holiday was as stress-free as possible. I find every about going on holiday alone very stressful, and have never organised a holiday for myself. I wouldn't be able to cope with the paperwork unless it was very clear and kept simple. The travelling would need to be via the least stressful routes, and the holiday itself would have to be in a quiet rural place with very little traffic and no crowds.

I think the priority would be to ensure that the holiday was as stress-free as possible. I find every about going on holiday alone very stressful, and have never organised a holiday for myself. I wouldn't be able to cope with the paperwork unless it was very clear and kept simple. The travelling would need to be via the least stressful routes, and the holiday itself would have to be in a quiet rural place with very little traffic and no crowds.

Hi Mihaela

You have made clear a big issue here and did not they this and i'm grateful you have highlighted your issues. It have given me a better understand. Would you use my service when it starts up. initially it going to be package holidays where you make your way down but we can help with that for you or offer you some support.

I go on my own but with coach holidays but they are getting a bit to much for me and the accommodation is basic to poor. I have tryed D.I.Y option before when i went to penrith but i feel safer and better going with coach holidays a lot cheaper. So this something i'm looking at changing. When the company expends we will be looking at buying a fleet of coaches with less seats spaces for wheelchairs and on board entertainment and the quickest route possable

I've never been on a complicated holiday, where booking through travel agents, organising documents and going to busy places like airports are involved. I've just phoned a B&B or a camp site, and since having a motorhome book sites online when I have internet access. I've always been able to drive wherever I'm going that makes it easier too. I don't think I struggle with these things anywhere near as much as many do, but would still find doing much more than this quite stressful. I don't see the point in making complicated arrangements and travelling in stressful ways, as it defeats the object of having a holiday! The farthest "abroad" I've been on holiday is Scotland, including going "overseas" to Skye(!), although I have since emigrated from England to Wales!!!!

So simple arrangements, and simple stress free places to go, is what I look for. And being dog friendly, as I won't go alone!

So simple arrangements, and simple stress free places to go, is what I look for. And being dog friendly, as I won't go alone!

Confused Traveller

Hello

The whole aim to offer disabled and less able a simple pass to an holiday they are entitled to. It just brillant that you have a motorhome as some people can't drive like me.

I see you like traveling, so would you use my service.

Hello

The whole aim to offer disabled and less able a simple pass to an holiday they are entitled to. It just brillant that you have a motorhome as some people can't drive like me.

I see you like traveling, so would you use my service.

I don't think I would Mike, as I can organise the types of holiday I like myself. I do miss out on things that I'd like to do when I'm away, as I get rather anxious about them, and I often think of things I could have done when it's too late, but I'm not sure they are things that someone could organise for me. I really commented to make the point about simplicity and avoiding stress. I had thought of being away at the moment, but it seemed too complicated to get organised, so I didn't go, but it was things like getting my van ready, and what to do about a meeting I needed to go to, that no one else could really help with as part of a service. That's stuff about not having people in my life who I'm close too.

I don't think I would Mike, as I can organise the types of holiday I like myself. I do miss out on things that I'd like to do when I'm away, as I get rather anxious about them, and I often think of things I could have done when it's too late, but I'm not sure they are things that someone could organise for me. I really commented to make the point about simplicity and avoiding stress. I had thought of being away at the moment, but it seemed too complicated to get organised, so I didn't go, but it was things like getting my van ready, and what to do about a meeting I needed to go to, that no one else could really help with as part of a service. That's stuff about not having people in my life who I'm close too.

Hello, CT

I clearly understand you found it tough and whole idea of this topic is too see how people travel and who would use this service

For me it varies a bit. Since I have been old enough not to be dragged on holiday by my parents, I haven't taken a single 'proper' holiday. But I do go away for my martial arts. I currently just look online for somewhere cheap but my own room near the venue. I'm likely to keep on using the same place if I go to the same event for several years on a row.

I find airports really difficult, particulary on my own.

I find airports difficult, definitely on my own.

This is interesting and this is something i could look offering with my business.

What else do you think i should cater for in my business idea

I find all methods of travelling difficult I can drive but currently have not got a car. I would certainly look favourably on such a service but there are a lot of factors I need to consider before I go anywhere.

I haven't had a holiday in five years I find the whole experience a little to much to deal with but what your proposing does seem something I would consider.

I find all methods of travelling difficult I can drive but currently have not got a car. I would certainly look favourably on such a service but there are a lot of factors I need to consider before I go anywhere.

I haven't had a holiday in five years I find the whole experience a little to much to deal with but what your proposing does seem something I would consider.

Thank you it early days yet in planning just applied for job in travel agent to get some insider information and it a disabled travel agents.

What factors do you need to consider.

Any questions?

I haven't had a proper holiday for several years, due to being out of work for most of the time. When I was in regular employment I generally spent around 2-3 weeks (not concurrently) of my annual leave on holidays away. These were a mixed experience. As I had no-one to go with I was faced with the choice of going on my own (single supplements, asking for a table for one in restaurants) or going on a group holiday (having to get matey with a bunch of total strangers I had little else in common with - on one occasion I found myself in a group where all the other were old enough to be my parents!).

I did go on a couple of short breaks with my now ex-partner. Unfortunately he preferred to save his annual leave for catching up on political activism in London rather than exploring other regions or countries. Besides which I felt guilty that he had to foot the bill due to my not having a job.

I would like a holiday now a lot has happened recently but financially it's not practical to even think about it. Even if I could I wouldn't know where to go the interactions travel plans packing all stressful things I could do without. If somebody else organised it and a quiet country cottage travelling by car that would sound a lot better maybe sometime in the future it may happen.

I remember this Guardian piece from a few years ago about how to get the most out of solo travel: Link. One of the things they suggest, for group holidays, is to "Book as late as possible, so you can cross-examine the sales assistant on the make-up of the group." The trouble is that you would probably miss out on the best deals for travel, especially if you wanted to to avoid flying.

Group holiday brochures make really grandiose claims about guaranteed friends for life. I guess they're exaggerating. (If you really did make lifelong friends with everyone you met on holiday your social life would become unmanageable!) Seriously, I wonder if there are group holiday providers which do more than just throw a bunch of strangers together.. Are there holidays where prospective participants are vetted beforehand to make for a good mix of personalities (almost like dating!) or where the group leaders are a bit more hands-on to ensure that everyone gets on well together? On second thoughts, maybe that would feel too much like a school trip...

I have got a diagnosed learning disability and have looked into 'supported holidays' for people with LDs and find it rather depressing, the people who go on those holidays mainly consist of people with obvious disabilities and tend to be older people primarily from the photo albums on various websites I have looked at. And they are quite pricey and you have to share a twin room with another person or pay extra. Not for me thank you.

I could go with my support workers here but thats very costly for me. £1000 a week for wages then the full price of the holiday on top but I get to choose I comes with me, I have done 5 day coach trips around Europe with my support staff but find it very unsatisfying, I feel like I'm being treated like a child.

Edited by Charlie C

the internet is great. I do all my own bookings that way I know they are correct and have been done, takes the stress out of it.

I have been on "special" holidays and hated them ive been skiing etc. But I have also had a good experience last year with a lovely lady who offered a very personal service and you could ask all those daft questions and get almost instant answers.

The issue of the average age of group holidays participants is a vexed one. As I recall, Ramblers Holidays trialled age-specific (i.e. under 40) holidays, but they presumably didn't sell well as they have been discontinued. The trouble is that people don't fit neatly into special interest categories delimited by age. Does a 30-year-old necessarily have more in common with a 25-year-old than a 40-year-old?

This guide on how to choose the right holiday may be useful.

That is the problem in today's society everybody has to fit into a category there is nothing about your individual needs or requirements. They expect you to tick a box on a farm and that is good enough to provide the information needed. It doesn't work like that.

I would like a holiday now a lot has happened recently but financially it's not practical to even think about it. Even if I could I wouldn't know where to go the interactions travel plans packing all stressful things I could do without. If somebody else organised it and a quiet country cottage travelling by car that would sound a lot better maybe sometime in the future it may happen.

Or if you fancy something more avant-garde than a cottage: Living Architecture

I definitely agree. holidays for less abled people mental or physical can be very stressful when everyone else is around. the most popular resorts for NT's are not so for others. I too prefer the most quiet spot possible. im not saying make set plans for everyones day, but if you highlighted possibilities more easily then it will get round the complexity of 'do what you want', that notion is too much for me to handle. if the choices are simple, either outside or inside activity, something learning or something relaxing. simple choices are best I think.

however I can foresee that if you pitching to all disabilities then you would need to have extra 'staff' so you don't lose your people or let them get injured

I go on my own but with coach holidays but they are getting a bit too much for me and the accommodation is basic to poor. I have tried D.I.Y. option before when I went to Penrith but I feel safer and better going with coach holidays a lot cheaper. So this is something I'm looking at changing. When the company expands we will be looking at buying a fleet of coaches with fewer seats, spaces for wheelchairs and on-board entertainment and the quickest route possible

No thanks, I'll pass on the on-board entertainment. Whilst it is possible that a coach journey might be enhanced by some background music if it were the kind that I like - music which would later serve as a reminder of the holiday - or maybe even a stimulating film, chances are that it would be impractical to find something which would suit everyone's tastes. Or at least not without adding to the cost of the coach travel, money which would be better spent elsewhere. I'd rather have entertainment in the form of concerts or cinema visits separate from the coach journey, which the holidaymakers would be free to attend as they please. For example, in previous holidays I have enjoyed concerts at Troldsalen (at Grieg's house in Bergen) and the Ny Carlsberg Glyptothek in Copenhagen, plus films at Lynton Cinema in Devon and Fellini's in Ambleside, Cumbria.

Hello guys and girls

I'm in early days of researching my business idea, the idea of setting up a travel agent and service for less abled and disabled.

There appears to be something very similar already in existence...

The new disability travel site making exploring accessible for all

Also this: A travel agent's guide to booking your best ever holiday online

No specific advice for solo travellers, unfortunately.

Also this: A travel agent's guide to booking your best ever holiday online

No specific advice for solo travellers, unfortunately.

For some reason the hyperlink didn't upload. Let me try again:

A travel agent's guide to booking your best ever holiday online

And in Brazil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39003786

Edited by Aeolienne

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 9:57 PM, Aeolienne said:

As may this: What's the perfect holiday length?

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 11:46 PM, Charlie C said:

I have got a diagnosed learning disability and have looked into 'supported holidays' for people with LDs and find it rather depressing; the people who go on those holidays mainly consist of people with obvious disabilities and tend to be older people primarily from the photo albums on various websites I have looked at. And they are quite pricey and you have to share a twin room with another person or pay extra. Not for me thank you.

I could go with my support workers here but that's very costly for me. £1000 a week for wages then the full price of the holiday on top but I get to choose I comes with me. I have done 5 day coach trips around Europe with my support staff but find it very unsatisfying; I feel like I'm being treated like a child.

Wilder Me (formerly Cool of the Wild) is offering autism retreats in Cornwall for autistic individuals travelling with their carers "from only £395pp".

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 9:10 AM, Aeolienne said:

That link is broken. Try: The new disability travel site making exploring accessible for all

On 04/08/2015 at 10:07 AM, Aeolienne said:

Or if you fancy something more avant-garde than a cottage: Living Architecture

Or this little gem from Host Unusual: Kudhva

George "Amazing Spaces" Clarke would approve of this.

Edited by Aeolienne
add line break