dekaspace

People using the term autistic as a slur to mean stupid(and evolution of words)

I notice only this year that online a lot of people say something like someone is autistic as a insult to mean stupid or not normal

Or variations on words that can are even double insults like aspietard or autard, I mean I have even seen people on videogames having words like that as their username.

Now words like spastic have gone out of regular use but often censored on many websites so why isnt terms where its insulting a person who cannot help being a way be allowed? just like words that refer to someones race or sexuality are banned they think ones related to things like autism are ok.

It's primarily human nature to be this way its for some reason part of some people as they enjoy saying these things it's another form of hatred. Words appear then disappear it's something that has always been and unfortunately always will be.

There's normal behaviour for a person but that doesn't mean a person is normal or abnormal.

Part of my work in helping other autistics is promoting tolerance and acceptance.

I think these folk are trying to reclaim words as their own. A bit like me calling myself a cripple. I would only call someone else a cripple with their permission.

You have a valid point and being tolerant is what we all need to try to be and some people are more in tune with it than others. There is one concern that can't be overlooked and that is that some people find it intolerable hurtful and intimidating.

It is these people that need extra protection because even though we need to show tolerance to some constant pressure of this nature can even push some people towards suicide. There is a fine definition between toleration and protection of the vulnerable and I think this can only be done on an individual basis dependant on the person concerned. This will lead to complications in achieving this balance. I know this as a fact, at one time I was bullied to the point of feeling suicide was my only way out. Luckily I came through this period and now it doesn't effect me in the same way as it used to. It still hurts sometimes and I find it very frustrating but I don't get to the depths of dispare as I used to. But I am forever mindful that there are many that will feel this and must never be forgotten that this is the case. We or some people may take no notice but to a point but somebody hearing the same words could be at the point of utter hopelessness we all need to remember that.

People are people,

whatever the species,

there are bright intelligent specimens

and

some rather dull.

Its survival of those of who can gat away with it.

I don't quite get the meaning of that can you explain a little more please.