dekaspace

I put on a local accent when I am around people and it confuses me.

I have a neutral English accent normally and yet I am Scottish, I think that may come from growing up disliking most slang apart from "aye" and "ken" not that I outright hated slang but it felt confusing a little.

When say I am drunk or in a rare moment of pure peace and serenity my natural Scots accent comes out.

But other times I seem to unintentonally speak in accents I hear around me, I always remember at school when a Liverpool girl argued with me my voice changed so she thought I was mocking her and even at the time my brain was sore as I was trying to speak normally, I know a few Irish people and if they speak to me I am slightly aware of myself so make a effort not to try and sound Irish but over time it softens and I sound more Irish for example.

Or local accents like I went to Edinburgh and sounded like a local, or when I was in Newcastle I sounded local(except not using slang) or when in London etc.

The less aware of it the more I sound local, most of the time I can be aware so speak as close to my normal accent as possible but it does slip a little so people cant tell where am I from or assume I am from a little up North etc.

I find when people with strong accent are speaking especially if they are speaking fast I have difficulty in understanding them.

I've always done the same. I'm sure that people think sometimes that I'm taking the p**s, and that can be unhelpful, but I think that it's really a part of that 'copy and paste' behaviour that we do to try and fit in.

Now that I'm diagnosed, I just go with it.

Just going with any situation eases the stress and anxiety created by trying to resist what you are, I think just excepting something for what it is will be the best way forward.

I have a neutral English accent normally and yet I am Scottish, I think that may come from growing up disliking most slang apart from "aye" and "ken" not that I outright hated slang but it felt confusing a little.

When say I am drunk or in a rare moment of pure peace and serenity my natural Scots accent comes out.

But other times I seem to unintentonally speak in accents I hear around me, I always remember at school when a Liverpool girl argued with me my voice changed so she thought I was mocking her and even at the time my brain was sore as I was trying to speak normally, I know a few Irish people and if they speak to me I am slightly aware of myself so make a effort not to try and sound Irish but over time it softens and I sound more Irish for example.

Or local accents like I went to Edinburgh and sounded like a local, or when I was in Newcastle I sounded local(except not using slang) or when in London etc.

The less aware of it the more I sound local, most of the time I can be aware so speak as close to my normal accent as possible but it does slip a little so people cant tell where am I from or assume I am from a little up North etc.

It's called echolalia and is common with aspergers, though does not affect everyone.

I've never heard of echolalia before that's a new condition that I didn't know effected people with Aspergers.

It's called echolalia and is common with aspergers, though does not affect everyone.

Interesting, reading a little about it on wikipedia some of it makes sense to me, I often repeat what I say two or three times as I am unsure if I have said it right(in written form that means I write long paragraphs repeating things in different wording) and I need a television on in background even if I am using a computer and not even watching it for stimulation, with the tv off even with computer on I feel so sleepy I want to almost faint.

I've been reading about it and can relate to certain things about the condition.