ajl

How to explain what stress does to someone with ASD

Help me out here,

I'm trying to explain what a huge amount of stress and change does to someone with ASD/Aspergers and the associated MH problems.

I need to get across how stress affects me more that say just a normal person but I cant find the correct words to do it eloquently.

thanks

Ann

How does this sound?

"I have difficulties with my short term memory, to help with this I prefer things to stay the same. If something changes suddenly my brain cannot process the change which caused anxiety and more problems with my short term memory. A glass can only be filled so high before the water comes out of the top. My stress levels can only become so high before i become overloaded causing distress. I am scared something bad is going to happen when things change and I prefer change to be negotiated and written down so i can process it better. As a result of my autism i can only cope with 1 change every (put in minutes or hours here) before my anxiety from the stress of changes adversely affects my mental health."

Anytime does it make sense what ive said? If you would like to PM me regarding your mental health stuff we can share what works and hopefully help each other.

How i describe it for me is when one problem, becomes another and it builds up and because my emotions are quite heightened they suddenly explode as my brain is not processing the information because of the sensory stimuli.

Like for example i have had to deal with a phone company and he could not understand me, and it was like a vicious circle and my brain is spinning around and around trying to process what is happening and then him not understanding me and then i explode into meltdown as my brain does not handle heightened emotions/environment.

Edited by Special_talent123

That was a very good way of explaining it in the above posts, I've been having problems explaining how it makes me feel and why I can't cope in situations and why sometimes it varies on my ability to cope with situations. Thanks for the above its going to help me as well thanks

Special talent

Phone company's are the worst to deal with they make you feel like throwing the phone against a wall. I've been trying to cancel my phone contract at the end of the agreed period of time and it's an almost impossible task. They pass you to one department then another keep you waiting then cut you off totally so you have to ring them again and wait in a queue only to have to explain the situation again and again it's so frustrating.

Special talent

Phone company's are the worst to deal with they make you feel like throwing the phone against a wall. I've been trying to cancel my phone contract at the end of the agreed period of time and it's an almost impossible task. They pass you to one department then another keep you waiting then cut you off totally so you have to ring them again and wait in a queue only to have to explain the situation again and again it's so frustrating.

I use The Phone Co-op, and on the few occasions I've had to talk to them, I've spoken to real humans beings who are helpful. They act as a buffer between the customer and BT/OpenReach too, so can take a lot of stress out of dealing with problems. They're not perfect, but I wouldn't go back to one of the big companies now I've escaped from them.

I haven't heard of the phone Co-op who are they ?

https://www.thephone.coop

I think they're cheaper than BT too. They were when I changed to them. I think it's worth changing to some of the small utility providers, as they are much more human/humane, so should be easier to deal with if you struggle with phones and the attitudes of big organisations. People like Ecotricity for electricity and gas for example. They tend to get top ratings for customer service, as well as being more ethical.

Special talent

Not my experience. I get in quickly but mine was about scam messages coming through my phone and charging me

I use The Phone Co-op, and on the few occasions I've had to talk to them, I've spoken to real humans beings who are helpful. They act as a buffer between the customer and BT/OpenReach too, so can take a lot of stress out of dealing with problems. They're not perfect, but I wouldn't go back to one of the big companies now I've escaped from them.

I am on a contract, cant even change my phone company because of my bad credit rating score but then on pay as u go i be spending more money than what my contract is

https://www.thephone.coop

I think they're cheaper than BT too. They were when I changed to them. I think it's worth changing to some of the small utility providers, as they are much more human/humane, so should be easier to deal with if you struggle with phones and the attitudes of big organisations. People like Ecotricity for electricity and gas for example. They tend to get top ratings for customer service, as well as being more ethical.

Iam not allowed to change my utility they havent give me permission from landlord to even change my meter to not a prepayment. I am on disabled careline for any issues arise with my electric also that i get winter warm scheme and governmnt money towards electric every year that im entitled to

Iam not allowed to change my utility they havent give me permission from landlord to even change my meter to not a prepayment. I am on disabled careline for any issues arise with my electric also that i get winter warm scheme and governmnt money towards electric every year that im entitled to

That's something your getting that you deserve to help with your bills. Nothing is perfect but at least somebody is trying to help.

Not my experience. I get in quickly but mine was about scam messages coming through my phone and charging me

There is always some way they get money from you that they are not entitled to. I'm glad you don't have that experience it's so frustrating but my provider has now been changed I just hope that the current one proves to be better than the last.

How does this sound?

"I have difficulties with my short term memory, to help with this I prefer things to stay the same. If something changes suddenly my brain cannot process the change which caused anxiety and more problems with my short term memory. A glass can only be filled so high before the water comes out of the top. My stress levels can only become so high before i become overloaded causing distress. I am scared something bad is going to happen when things change and I prefer change to be negotiated and written down so i can process it better. As a result of my autism i can only cope with 1 change every (put in minutes or hours here) before my anxiety from the stress of changes adversely affects my mental health."

This is really useful. Thank you. As supportive as my partner is (and he is the only one, as nobody else I know - not even family - would even believe me if I told them I had ASD, let alone support me) he finds me difficult to understand. He tries really hard, and I really get how it's very difficult for him. I don't even understand myself sometimes! This bit of advice is really helpful. Little bits of help at a time - fabulous. xxx

Yeah I find it extremely difficult phoning about my bills. I am calm then I try to explain, they don't understand. I then get angry and shout and swear at them. Then nothing is resolved.

Yeah I find it extremely difficult phoning about my bills. I am calm then I try to explain, they don't understand. I then get angry and shout and swear at them. Then nothing is resolved.

Hello,

I apologise for not writing from personal experience. However, my eldest son has AS and mental health problems. We have been going through a terribly stressful time which involves a lot of change. The stress has intensified his ritualistic behaviour and accelerated his mental health difficulties to the point where he has been hallucinating and hearing voices. The agencies that we have worked with grossly underestimated the affect stress has on people with AS.

Hi it sounds really frustrating for you. You could go to a and e with your son and demand to see a mental health team as an emergency. Have he got a social worker. My social worker hasnt got a clue about mental health.Your sons gp should be referring your son to mental health. It must be very stressful for you. When I am having a melt down I have to sleep and turn off all technology off. It helps me to have a bath and do some sewing or colouring.I can't think or talk.My Aspergers Syndrome is very hard to cope with and explain to others what is happening to me.

Hi it sounds really frustrating for you. You could go to a and e with your son and demand to see a mental health team as an emergency. Have he got a social worker. My social worker hasnt got a clue about mental health.Your sons gp should be referring your son to mental health. It must be very stressful for you. When I am having a melt down I have to sleep and turn off all technology off. It helps me to have a bath and do some sewing or colouring.I can't think or talk.My Aspergers Syndrome is very hard to cope with and explain to others what is happening to me.