KezT

It was worth it:)

Just recieved Son​'s report ready for his year 11 Annual Review today.

In 2.5 years at Priory Group​ he has changed from a child who was out of school, often violent, and spent hours most days in a catatonic shut down to a "lovely, thoughtful, sensible young man", who is hard working and keen to help others. He is described as "a great ambassador for the school" Although there are obviously still issues to deal with I can't put into words how proud I am of him:) The amazing academic results are a bonus too;)

For those of you who don't know/remember, the fight to get him into the school lasted over a year, included having the whole family considered "at risk" by social services and very nearly broke us, even though we are a very strong family generally! We went right to the wire with the Tribunal, and borrowed money to get the reports required as the LA didn't do any! I spent almost every day in tears, and honestly contemplated a wide variety of awful scenarios.

Since getting the place, we have regularly had to fight the LA to ensure they complied with his statement and provided suitable transport! BUT.......I have been totally and utterly proven right! It was the right thing to do, it was the right place to go, and it was worth it!

The future is looking bright. To anyone else out there going through this. Never give up!

PS: A massive thank you to Sally who pretty much coached us through everything. I couldn't have done it without you (I didn't even know there wrre ASD schools without you) and my son would now be another one of the governments statistics!

Congratulations and well done to your son.

RESULTS DAY!

1 × A*

4 x A

3 x B

1 x C

Not bad for a child who was considered unable to access education a few years ago:)

You both showed them we'll done. That's better grades than mine and I wasn't diagnosed at the time.

Another update:

DS is now in mainstream college, and it's all going really well! He is doing A levels, split across four years, and is currently getting As in his maths:) He also attends a "fun" subject one day a week and the ASD unit for life skills 1 day a week. He takes the public bus to each venue and attends a community social group once a week. He got a weekend job!!!!!! (unpaid).

Every day I do a little mental happy dance when I think about how far we have come:)

Another update:

DS is now in mainstream college, and it's all going really well! He is doing A levels, split across four years, and is currently getting As in his maths:) He also attends a "fun" subject one day a week and the ASD unit for life skills 1 day a week. He takes the public bus to each venue and attends a community social group once a week. He got a weekend job!!!!!! (unpaid).

Every day I do a little mental happy dance when I think about how far we have come:)

That's great to hear. Getting As in maths - sounds like he's found a real strength there. I hope the job benefits him and that the lack of pay is not a sign of exploitation.

Keep on dancing!

Just popped back to say that things have continued to improve.  Although there have still been ups and downs, Son achieved A, A, A, B in his A levels and has a confirmed place to study Chemistry at the University of Southampton.  He will be leaving home and I am confident that this will be a success - possibly the first transition ever that I have felt confident about:)

Keep fighting for your children!  We were told he was uneducable, that the best we could hope for was a lifetime in care rather than prison, that there was zero chance of him having a job or independent life (honestly - these are all actual quotes from "professionals" involved over the years!) - we have appealed and argued and fought for him for 2 decades, and have absolutely, and in every way, been proven right.  he has turned into a well adjusted, well educated, well rounded and inspirational young man:)

What does your son plan to do after his chemistry degree?