FlorenceD

Finally been referred for assessment

I've now finally been referred by a dr who actually believed me and was really understanding. She said they may have to apply for funding but that shes happy to apply for it and I should get it no problems.

I have many questions about the whole assessment process. What are your experiences of it and what things are you asked or have to do etc?

My heads in a bit of a spin right now with it all but I do feel a sense of relief.

Thanks

I've now finally been referred by a dr who actually believed me and was really understanding. She said they may have to apply for funding but that shes happy to apply for it and I should get it no problems.

I have many questions about the whole assessment process. What are your experiences of it and what things are you asked or have to do etc?

My heads in a bit of a spin right now with it all but I do feel a sense of relief.

Thanks

Hi Florence

I just received my date for diagnosis today! 19th august!

it took me ages, like said 'a dr who believes us'

after the funding was granted it was only about a month or so for it to arrive, my problem is though that I don't have parental witness so I really nervous

my head is also in a spin but I wont get any relief until they can place their finger on the root of all my life problems

there are questionairres and stuff but they need witness of someone who knew us as a child, and ive not had that sort of life that anyone actually 'knows' me, or that would stand up for me and give witness at such short notice, its only two weeks away!

oh dear...

since I admitted this to myself I have been waiting for this day to come, now it is im worried they wont have enough evidence so im also keen to hear other peoples thoughts if they are further down the line than we are

I've been waiting seven months for my appointment, and think I probably have several more months to wait. I really hope they don't give me just two weeks notice, as I want to go on holiday about the time it will be due, and last year I was away for six weeks and came back to find I'd missed a hospital appointment I didn't even know was being organised! I can't stand another 10 months wait if I have to go back to the beginning of the list because I miss it.

All my family died of old age long ago, except two half brothers who are around 80, and the only friend I had from when I was young died 10 years ago. So they won't be getting much in the way of witnesses who knew me as a child. But if the NHS don't spot these things and put you on the waiting list until you're nearly 60, I hope they make allowances for that.

I've been waiting seven months for my appointment, and think I probably have several more months to wait. I really hope they don't give me just two weeks notice, as I want to go on holiday about the time it will be due, and last year I was away for six weeks and came back to find I'd missed a hospital appointment I didn't even know was being organised! I can't stand another 10 months wait if I have to go back to the beginning of the list because I miss it.

All my family died of old age long ago, except two half brothers who are around 80, and the only friend I had from when I was young died 10 years ago. So they won't be getting much in the way of witnesses who knew me as a child. But if the NHS don't spot these things and put you on the waiting list until you're nearly 60, I hope they make allowances for that.

no I don't want to wait that long! im nearly 36 and I feel ive waited a life time already, another 30 would not be good, especially now im becoming more aware of my condition.

im just worried incase they cancel my apt due to not having this parental witness form filled in. ive waited so long. my sister first made me aware of my issues after talking to my estranged mother shes a teacher now and has seen many kids on the spectrum, she told my sister maybe they missed something with me?

trouble is, if shes too pig headed to sign the form then im relying on the doctors fancy machines and (hopefully) expert knowledge. hopefully there is someone on the spectrum on the team as often I notice others with learning issues and they always notice me

I can fill out all the questionaires they like, but if they don't have 'other ways' of detecting it then we might have a long wait! I hope not. my gf has trouble keeping patience with my weirdities and id really like better meds. its all well and good saying try to be calm and just be like everyone else, but theres only so far pretending can go. when im tired and hungry I just get shirty with the people I care about the most and I hate it. better meds and meetings with others I think will help me find the balance between being myself, and not standing so far out from the crowd

good luck to us all!

Apparently, part of my "Pre-diagnostic Counselling Service" is to find out "Who the best person is to talk to the consultant about when you were a child". So that suggests I don't have to fill in a form, but it would be helpful to have been through that when I was put on the waiting list, rather than wait a year to find out I can't provide what they need. The wait is a year now, I discovered today, not the 10 months I was told in January. I'm not happy.

Apparently, part of my "Pre-diagnostic Counselling Service" is to find out "Who the best person is to talk to the consultant about when you were a child". So that suggests I don't have to fill in a form, but it would be helpful to have been through that when I was put on the waiting list, rather than wait a year to find out I can't provide what they need. The wait is a year now, I discovered today, not the 10 months I was told in January. I'm not happy.

maybe different places do it in different ways?

if I get the answers im looking for I guess il be sharing the good news and advice

(or sharing the problems and venting)

The GP I saw said that she recently referred another adult for assessment and that the funding and appointment all came through fairly quickly.

I hope this is the case as the wait is making me anxious.

I'm questioning everything right now. I keep thinking what if its not ASC? What else could it be? Why am I the way I am? Why don't I feel I fit in anywhere or have a sense of who I am?

It's just all really stressful and I have to know the answers to all my questions.

I discussed it with my manager at work as I didn't want to go for diagnosis if it would affect my job. My manager was amazing about it all and really understanding. She said I should definately go for diagnosis as it would answer alot of questions. It would explain my whole life. My manager asked if there was anything she can do at work to make things easier for me. We came up with a few solutions and she told me to keep a diary of any incidences or things at work that stress me out and then we're going to sit down and try and come up with solutions to reduce my stress and anxiety.

I really want some answers. If I do have ASC it would explain my entire life and how I view myself but at the same time, I don't want to have autism, I'm scared that it's going to define me and I'm going to have that label for the rest of my life.

Aaagghhh it's just all so overwhelming and confusing.

Edited by FlorenceD

I haven't heard of anyone loosing an autism or aspergers diagnosis so in reality these diagnoses do stay with us for life but in some cases we find ways of coping with our differences. For me they include running social groups for autistic and similar folk and attending autscape am annual retreat conference.

The GP I saw said that she recently referred another adult for assessment and that the funding and appointment all came through fairly quickly.

I hope this is the case as the wait is making me anxious.

I'm questioning everything right now. I keep thinking what if its not ASC? What else could it be? Why am I the way I am? Why don't I feel I fit in anywhere or have a sense of who I am?

It's just all really stressful and I have to know the answers to all my questions.

I discussed it with my manager at work as I didn't want to go for diagnosis if it would affect my job. My manager was amazing about it all and really understanding. She said I should definately go for diagnosis as it would answer alot of questions. It would explain my whole life. My manager asked if there was anything she can do at work to make things easier for me. We came up with a few solutions and she told me to keep a diary of any incidences or things at work that stress me out and then we're going to sit down and try and come up with solutions to reduce my stress and anxiety.

I really want some answers. If I do have ASC it would explain my entire life and how I view myself but at the same time, I don't want to have autism, I'm scared that it's going to define me and I'm going to have that label for the rest of my life.

Aaagghhh it's just all so overwhelming and confusing.

this is exactly what im feeling right now! now im worrying if its not then what the heck is it?

I now self identify quite compftably that I have Asperger and dyslexia...but what if they say its not? another 35 years of searching for why im so different from 'normal people'

im frustrated. I always knew I was different but back in the 80's there wasn't really knowledge about it. passed off as all sorts of behavioural issues, or 'he will grow out of it' or stuff like 'its like middle child syndrome but hes the oldest'

I waited and tried to get by as best I could. then when I thought I was getting on ok and had abviously convinced myself that I was ok, my sister came to me about a conversation she had with my estranged mother which led her to email me some links and made me call her when I was reading them so she could explain to me how she thought that applied to me... finally there was a word for what I was! Asperger

I then spent nearly 8 years in denial and just tried to pass things off as just dyslexia. but alas no, people I have spoken to have pulled me up on it being more than just that...so I admitted it to myself, around the time I joined this site in fact. speaking to certain people here cemented my thoughts and I was 'out of the closet aspie' and proud!

then I started obsessing over the negatives and had a few bad weeks and my gf made me stop thinking about it.

but then I found myself saying about my daughter 'that's what I was like' or 'she so much like I was at that age its scary' and started wondering if she is too.

so now I really NEED to know don't I

my head is all over the place and I just cant focuss at all today with what I meant to be doing, only to vent my frustrations on here

I just want to know now that im right so I can carry on. its like that thing where someone is trying to explain 2 pages of text and move onto page 2 quickly but you stop them and ask questions because you still need to understand page 1

Im struggling to move on now I just need to get this and be done with not knowing anymore so I can go to groups and find out about accepting emplyers so I don't persistently fall to homless issues etc

6 days to go