Mark123

Does anyone have good days?

Hi, im recently diagnosed aspergers high functioning. I have a job house etc, live on my own for most of my life and have a solitary job.My head is busy all the time and i cant shut it up without alcohol and i have stopped drinking. I wonder if anyone out there has days when yr head is quieter and ways to make things easier mentally. For me there is no peace and i have tried most forms of therapy but nothing works .I need something to sooth like the booze did without the resulting depression.Not sure about meds i used diazepam for years to relax but it stopped working. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Avoiding gluten all forms of animal dairy, benzoate and changing to low msg and low aspartame I managed to clear my head and my weight improved as well. Has to be total abstinence as it's an addiction.

Therapy probably hasn't worked because it wasn't aspergers friendly.

Thanks trekster, much appreciated.

Dear trekster,

I'm looking for a suitable therapy for an adult. Our doctor recommend to start auditory therapy to help him calm down and encourage his brain to process sensory, cognitive and emotional information more effectively. My friend told me that b-calm therapy is worth attention and helpful, but unpleasant and irritating at first.... So I was thining to find some other trerapy or program maybe that won't be so difficult. I found some reviews pages like http://www.sensory-therapies.com/, but there is too much info...

I want to ask for your advice: are sensory therapies aspergers friendly? Or should I focus on something else?

Thank you!

Have you tried meditation or relaxation techniques? I overcame years of alcohol and drug abuse and I found 12-step fellowships provided companionship, but they are not for everyone. I found tai chi the easiest meditation because it gives something physical to focus on. Zen philosophy can also be very calming.

Thanks trekster, much appreciated.

You're very welcome.

This forum us in no position to recommend any therapies. All we can do here is discuss how the therapies worked for ourselves or our relatives.

Recently I've had benzoate for the first time but also gluten in a salad that was prepared for me. I've been much grumpier and less focussed as a result. I didn't check the ingredients of the tonic water used for accidental gluten contamination before I drank it because I panicked. I've had a lot on recently with university work.

Books which I've found explain mine and people I work with better include "people with autism behaving badly" by John clements and "behavioural concerns and asd" (can't remember the author).

Gigaday I'm pleased you found a programme to help you overcome your drug and alcohol addiction. You made the important point there that responses to therapies will be individual.

Kylorenkathy What does your brother want to change about his life?

An important statistic is that 95% of behaviour that challenges is caused by hidden physical pain.

Dear trekster,

I'm looking for a suitable therapy for an adult. Our doctor recommend to start auditory therapy to help him calm down and encourage his brain to process sensory, cognitive and emotional information more effectively. My friend told me that b-calm therapy is worth attention and helpful, but unpleasant and irritating at first.... So I was thinking to find some other threrapy or program maybe that won't be so difficult. I found some reviews pages like http://www.sensory-therapies.com/, but there is too much info...

I want to ask for your advice: are sensory therapies aspergers friendly? Or should I focus on something else?

Thank you!

Perhaps check out Binaural Beat Therapy. There is website called 'mynoise.net' and therapeutically as an Aspergian - it has proven to be wonderfully effective for not only me but others also as well. You will need to have earphones, and there are lots and lots of beat themes to try - from the deeply calming variety up to those that are very stimulating indeed.

Edited by Deepthought