istari

Finally got diagnosis appointment.

I have finally received my appointment for my AS assessment/diagnosis, it's October 2nd, and even though it's classed as an "Autism Diagnosis Assessment", i'm nervously looking forward to it happening i'm concerned about what may happen.

Can anyone who has had a recent diagnosis tell me what I may expect to happen? Thanks

I don't know whether my experience is typical.

Stage 1 - April this year. Two assessors visited me at home & just had a general chat about things. When one was asking the questions the other was writing lots of notes. I was a bit worried that there were things I should have said & didn't or had given the wrong impression. They seemed to know what they were doing and made things easy for me. it took about an hour & a half

Stage 2 - they went away & called my mother to ask about when I was growing up.

Stage 3 - May. I went to an assessment centre & met one of the ladies from stage 1 & another assessor. They gave me a puzzle to do, asked questions - new ones & some I thought were following up on Stage 1, and made me tell a story & describe pictures. nothing difficult. took about 2 hours.

Stage 3.5 They sent me two questionaires to fill in covering depression & anxiety

June - The lady who was at both sessions visited me at home to give me the diagnosis. Actually this was the worst part as I was fretting about what the answer would be.

The whole thing was a lot less stressful that I had anticipated.

Happy to go into more detail if you have questions.

There seems to be no set procedure for these diagnoses, and they vary such a lot depending on who we get. Mine involved a diagnostic interview with a psychiatrist, followed by a phone call to the only relative who knew me as a child (and even then not very well). The next stage was an ADOS test, which I didn't do too well at due to the stress of travelling there. Lastly a short final meeting with him and a psychologist to discuss the future and support needs. There were no forms of any kind to fill in.

I'm finished with support workers, due to the fiasco they caused for me. I think you should be wary of being betrayed by yours, if anybody has any. :(