Skylark

Self-identified Aspie with EDS

Hi! This year has been a revelation. Firstly, a cascade of symptoms over the past few years has eventually led me to a diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobility type) and in learning (voraciously, in a rather blinkered fashion) about EDS I came across its correlation with Aspergers.

In learning about AS in women I was able to see myself described in surprising detail, enough for me to confidently put myself on the spectrum, though I would like a formal diagnosis. After I've digested the fact that I, and most likely some of my family members, have a genetic difference.

I am a mum myself and would like to know how much my discoveries affect my child. It is a relief though, to realise that my quirks have a root cause.

Hi :) It's good to hear you've benefited from gaining & researching diagnosis.

Many people say that it's when they can accept & acknowledge & then work to accommodate their AS - ASD that life becomes a bit more manageable.

It's true that many adults get their diagnosis after an offspring has been assessed & there do seem to be familial clusters of AS - ASD affected folk.

All the best! :)

Hi and welcome from another asperger edser. The term bendy is sometimes used to describe those who've got eds/hypermobility but normally in support groups.

Due to difficulties expressing and communicating pain, I was only diagnosed in 2010 with eds. Aspergers was recognised over 20 years ago but post diagnostic support is sadly slow in my area.

There is a thread on eds and autism under the 'related conditions' section of the boards. You can find a few of us on there with similar combinations to yourself.

There has been some research to support links between autism and eds.

Hope you find the support you need on here.

Ally

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure my mum is showing autistic traits (and bendy traits too). I wonder about my daughter but have no good reason at the moment to rush her into a diagnosis of anything.

I'm awaiting an MRI for my spine at the moment, along with other referrals that I've been promised. I'm having some mobility issues due to a mix of fatigue, nerve pain, muscle spasms and dizziness. I'd like to see a physio soon to discuss the best aids. I deciced myself to use a walking stick, a wheelchair part-time and a mobility scooter to help me 'walk' my child to school. I'm now wondering if a crutch would be suitable as I'm leaning on my stick more often.

I feel young inside but my body seems to disagree....

I completely agree and empathise with the feeling young inside but body says no.