Sign in to follow this  
hev

holiday from hell

got back from holiday today and im exhausted,steve had major meltdowns all day every day,ive realised how hard he finds life,cannot cope with holidays at all,i really feel for him but my stress levels were horrendous,security came round and we were told we would have to leave as steve was punching the door but he calmed down so we stayed,i took a friend for him this year but it was worse,hes at mums tonight,we couldnt leave early as we couldnt get a lift,i looked at other families and i got a bit resentful cos i would love to see steve enjoying himself like their kids,i slept for 4 hours when i got in,its all wore me out

>:D<<'> oh I am so sorry holiday was difficult for you all. Ours have all been rubbish so far but 'cos ds has been ill eg cold etc - been starting to wonder if it's the stress??

Try to fit in something nice for yourself.

Elainex

Sorry Hev >:D<<'>

My son wasn't even able to come with us...at the last minute he just couldn't face it, and went to stay with his dad instead :(

Bid >:D<<'>

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good time,

>:D<<'>

We've had a few bad holidays but this year the holiday was almost centred around my son and it worked, thankfully, first time I'd managed to stay a full week before but it took some preperation.

:wine: Here you go, sounds like you need it!

I know what you mean about holidays not being holidays for us witsend, I've never been able to sit and enjoy entertainment or go dancing or anything during a holiday, everything revolves around what charlotte can face, what she can cope with, what she would like to do, whether it is safe for her etc. As for relaxation - that has become an alien concept - me no understandy da lingo!!! :blink:

Hi Mandyque and everyone talking about hols,

Ours are usually not that bad on the whole, we go camping and Martin usually gets through the days by knowing there's a gift shop somewhere that he can visit (that's his obsession).

I will never forget a few years ago someone (who didn't know him) describing Martin as the most miserable child he had ever seen which was quite hurtful as on the whole he's quite a happy person - it's only when we're out of his usual environment that he can become distressed.

Anyway, this year on holiday he coped fine generally although I had a few times when he would refuse to get out of the car because he didn't know where we were going and there wasn't a gift shop to coax him out. I must look like a horrible mother trying to get this screaming 9-year-old out of a car. :crying: Unfortunately a week of rain quite often mean't that plans made often had to be re-organised.

By the end of the week we just left him inside the car and viewed things from the car park which isn't quite the same but a lot easier on the ears!

Going down to the south coast at the back end of August (we live in Newcastle) so I need an in-car charger for a Gameboy now.

Ah - happy days! ;)

I was seriously considering whether to bother going away this year. I keep wondering who the holiday is really for :tearful: My 2 so don't like changes in their routines, the oldest is also a bit obsessed with germs and doesn't like staying in beds sitting on chairs using things that other people have used. Makes holidays a bit tricky. My mum and dad actually live near the coast in a small bungalow but they have told me they find my 2 quite hard work, still they are getting on a bit. So I haven't really decided whether or not to go away because you know what no-one really enjoys themselves and I hate to put my kids through so much grief. Their dad is not a great deal of help either but then I suspect he is an aspie himself. After the children go back to school I always feel so bad that they didn't have a better time, but I am coming to the conclusion as they get older that they don't really care and would much rather be at home surrounded by their own things. :thumbs:

We quite often go to the same places for our holidays as it's much easier for my daughter. We go to Center Parcs a lot and have found that it helps to book the same villa each time. You can specify a particular villa number when booking. She tends to spend the first two days in her pyjamas (only the first day this time!!) which is her way of dealing with stress, but she also enjoys the pool which is an incentive to go out. My hubby doesn't mind staying in the villa or hotel room with her until she adjusts when we're on holiday, which is quite lucky as I can then take the other 2 kids out and about so everyone is happy. We also tend to go to Florida a lot and although we don't always stay in the same place, she's familiar with the format the holiday will take. She even has set routines just for Florida i.e. she always has fruit loops instead of weetabix for breakfast. She takes quite a lot of her stuff on holiday and we try to make the room a bit like her bedroom at home (quilt cover, pillow case, cuddly toys, posters etc.) so she feels "safe".

She's started to get a bit better with camping, we've been quite a few times over the past couple of years, I can't say she enjoys it but she "tolerates" it. I've become quite relaxed. I used to spend ages trying to coax her out of her pyjamas but now I just leave her, what does it matter if she doesn't wash for 2 days and her pyjamas are filthy. She's happier and not having meltdowns. Everything can be washed when we get home. I have to keep reminding myself it's no big deal. We tend to go on holidays with friends and they know her and her ways, they've seen the meltdowns, so they understand that this is probably the best way.

Lisa

Hi Hev :)

Sorry you've had such a rough time!

We got back last Wednesday from Bude, Cornwall. Ours didn't go that well either!

R had some major melt downs in public too! :wallbash::wallbash:

Was glad to get back!

Hi Hev, >:D<<'>

Sorry it did'nt go too well.

We went to Eurodisney for a few days a while ago, my son absolutely hated the crowds and would continually stim. He also would sit in the cafe shouting out "it stinks in here, I hate this place" :blink:

But he did enjoy the hotel bit, because he got to sit in the bar at night and have his coke, he thought that was the best bit about disneyland :rolleyes:

When we went round the back of our hotel, it was so quiet and relaxing, you could see the immediate change in him.

I bet there is not many kids that have been to disney and not wanted to go on any rides at all!! he did not go on one single ride ;)

He still says he wants to go again, but I think this could be the calling of the bar, ;) must take after his father :lol::lol:

Take care

Brook

Rhodri absolutely LOVES holidays-its almost his obsession.I think that he likes the fact that we are unhurried.We went for a week this year-but he wants to go for 2 next year.he enjoys being in a mobile home.xx

he enjoys being in a mobile home.xx

Wow! Me too. It's my dream to live in one or perhaps a narrow boat or even a little thatched cottage :thumbs:

Edited by ~Jonathan~

oh sometimes it does stress you out when kids get like that. Other ppl dont help either do they tutting and staring. I hope u feel less stressed now, perhaps it would be better if u got a cottage or something where u wouldnt disturb anyone else, and your son might not feel so stressed out. :wub:

have decided that when steve starts school in sept,they do holidays at his new school and he is allright with other people,its me who irratates him!we are gonna book a holiday then,that way we all get a holiday