Sign in to follow this  
allyspergers

Auditory Sensitivity...where do I shop?

Hello! So, i thought, for my first post on here, that I'd start a thread that's pretty light. I didn't want to dive in straight away with more detailed, serious struggles.

Anyway, I have always been very sensitive to sound - I can deal with loud sound, sudden sound, repetitive sound, certain pitches ect, i can't even have someone whisper around me without hyperventilating.

However, I know that there are resources for other people with the same issues. At 17, I've only just been diagnosed, after a 9 year struggle to get someone to listen.

I'm looking for some sound cancelling headphones/earmuffs; not whitenoise ones or with cables or anything - I dont want to plug them in, I just want to be able to block sound out when I'm near busy roads and wherever else.

But here's the other part - I want some cute ones...I'm really fussy and sentimental (I have no idea if this is due to the aspergers) and although I'm aware that the functions are so much more important that the aesthetics, I was wondering if theres any pretty/girly ones out there? I've seen pink ones, and I've seen some animal ones (but they look funny, i want like a cute bear or something??)

I've been looking to see if theres such thing as Rilakkuma themed ones, or something like that? I like Japan and Lolita ect..

So yeah, I hope nobody thinks this is silly - I'm sure that (and hoping) everyone is nice! As I said, I just wanted to start off with something a bit less daunting!

Hi there :)

I understand what you mean about being fussy and wanting something that's just right for you and the stuff you like.

I work in a warehouse and about a month ago I was securing a pallet with a roll of plastic wrap. The noise of the wrap unravelling was awful! I could see the Team Leader looking and he said "that hurts your ears doesn't it?" (they know I'm on the spectrum). He said that needed to be sorted out and I should wear ear defenders. For the rest of the night when a pallet needed wrapping he took over and made me stand at a safe distance for my ears :)

I know the employer is responsible for providing me with PPE (personal protective equipment) but the ones they'll order will probably be really boring! I want some pink ones or ones with animal faces on!

When I was Googling a few weeks ago I swear I saw some with bunny faces on but I can't find them now :(

Maybe I will jazz up the ones my work get me with some glitter! I'm really into crafts ;)

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the forum (I think this is my first post too actually!)

CatstyeCam