Sign in to follow this  
allyspergers

ADOS

can someone talk me through the process of an ADOS assessment?

i was diagnosed privately because the services were no help to me, but now the NHS service that i've seen long term want to give me an ADOS - what should i expect?

It's a rather strange test and can be used for people of any age above about 5. It has several different parts - taking small objects out a bag and making up a story out of them; doing a simple mime; interpreting the story in a book about flying frogs (only containing pictures and times). I really don't know how I did in that test, and I completely ignored the times. There was a fourth test too, equally odd, but I can't remember what it was. ADOS is designed for testing for classic Asperger's syndrome. I have the typical female presentation, and I don't think it properly worked for me. If you have the female type then it may not work for you either, and the psychiatrist must have experience of female type AS, otherwise you may get misdiagnosed. If you don't know the difference, read up on it first.

It's a rather strange test and can be used for people of any age above about 5. It has several different parts - taking small objects out a bag and making up a story out of them; doing a simple mime; interpreting the story in a book about flying frogs (only containing pictures and times). I really don't know how I did in that test, and I completely ignored the times. There was a fourth test too, equally odd, but I can't remember what it was. ADOS is designed for testing for classic Asperger's syndrome. I have the typical female presentation, and I don't think it properly worked for me. If you have the female type then it may not work for you either, and the psychiatrist must have experience of female type AS, otherwise you may get misdiagnosed. If you don't know the difference, read up on it first.

thank you so much! That was exactly what happened! I should hope the psychiatrist takes the fact I'm a girl into consideration. i thought it was all very odd, like how therapy is portrayed in television stereotypes, or like learning games from early years of school! I loved the book 'Tuesday' (flying frog book) because it reminded me of a ghibli film haha! I actually found the interaction much easier than basic cbt.