Hi there

We're setting up an Eco-wellbeing and Activity break for adults with high functioning Autism and Asperger's in Cornwall, England and wondered if anyone who has high functioning Autism or Asperger's could help us out by completing a simple questionnaire on how you like spending your holidays? It would really help us to get your opinion and ensure we do things right.

If you're interested in helping, can you please email us at coolofthewildretreat@gmail.com

Many thanks!

Natalie and Geoff icon_smile.gif

What counts as "Eco"? Will you be seeking accreditation from Responsible Travel?

Did anyone else participate in this survey? FWIW, here is some of what I wrote:

Is there anything not listed above that youd like to do?

Swimming (especially open-air), cycling, visiting eco-build architecture (e.g. Centre for Alternative Technology, The Crystal), white-water rafting, going to the cinema (art-house or open-air, not bog-standard multiplexes), practising foreign languages, “open studios” art trails, riding cable cars or using public transport in general

Please tell us how you like spending your time on holiday:

I haven’t had many holidays over the past seven years due to being out of work for most of this time. When I have done, they’ve generally been based around an outdoor activity (if in the countryside) or sightseeing (if in town), with visits to concerts or cinemas in the evening if available. If I’m going to a non-English-speaking country I always make some effort with the language, either by brushing up what I’ve already learnt (French, German, Italian and Swedish) or using a phrasebook. (I should stress that I do not subscribe to the belief that only holidays abroad are worth taking!)

I have occasionally pursued my musical interests (I play recorder at Grade VIII+ level) by attending summer schools. These have been a mixed experience. I suspect that some residential courses have become used to attracting the same people who attend every year and as such are not good at explaining rules and procedures to newcomers. Either that or they are aimed more at trainee professionals than keen amateurs like me.

Shopping (for artisan-produced crafts or designer bargains) can be of interest, although I wouldn’t want it to be the sole focus of the holiday. I find that some of my most productive shopping trips have been in the half-hour before closing!

Have you ever tried Mindfulness Meditation or any other kind of Meditation? If yes, did you enjoy it?

Not sure if I’ve actually done Mindfulness Meditation, but I’ve taken part in other spiritual exercises. As far as I can recall, I enjoyed it but I wouldn’t want it to be the sole focus of the holiday. I’d be frustrated at wasting a beautiful sunny day on navel-gazing when there’s a Munro nearby waiting to be bagged (for instance).

What would be the best outcome from your holiday? Is there anything youd like to achieve?

Best outcome of all would be a long-term relationship (well I can dream). Failing that something else life-changing: new friends, inspiration for a new career direction or other areas of my life. Also see my earlier remark about shopping.

And finally, and most importantly, what makes you happy?

Being close to nature (including green spaces in cities). Knowing what’s expected of me, and feeling understood and accepted.

Whilst I don’t necessarily expect a holiday to have a rigid timetable, I would like the organisers to have done their homework in terms of having information about opening hours, public transport timetables etc. ready to hand. I would be very disappointed if we spent an entire morning discussing what to do and then ended up eating out at a fast-food joint because we couldn’t find anything else nearby. That has happened to me once.

Edited by Aeolienne

Cool of the Wild is now Wilder Me. Their autism retreats are targeted at autistic individuals travelling with a carer, so that rules me out. :(