MiaArte

Hello Discovering myself and ASD

Hello,

I am pleased to find this group. I am an adult on the Spectrum.

I have been looking on here and seeing myself.

Diagnosis was the start of a grieving process and caused division in my now estranged extended family.

Some say I burned bridge's to them all. I was put on a program to gain momentum in my life. I felt watching lots of videos on YouTube about adults on the spectrum. Was just the beginning of processing my feelings.

Growing up I felt like I was on the outside looking in.

Family dynamics can make you or break you. A long journey of reasoning being focused on the most important things have helped me navigate through my emotions. I used to be like a rollercoaster ride. Or a merry go round.

I said to my doctor I feel I can't get off the merry go round. That was five year's ago. Now I am starting a journey to learn how to interact with people.

I just want to be able to trust people again. I felt my trust was running thin, because I was working so hard just to fit in, in a job, at the end of the day I would cry driving home because I was so sad. Relationships hurt me so I allowed education to guide me. I am grateful for education became my crutches.

So hello, I am not going insane. I am teaching myself survival. I am a full-time uni student existing and observing my abilities, not sure where it will take me. Anywhere better than stuck inside my own head. University gives me a break from myself my failures and my difficulties.

Here is to progress. I joined this group.

Mia

Hi and welcome from another university student albeit part time.

Hi Mia

Well done for your progress so far.

I've been on a long journey to get to where I am now, 36 years old and just got my diagnosed today! :-)

Hi well done to fellow Aspies. We try so hard to cope with life. I am learning to accept myself and love myself. I try so hard to deal with Aspergers and problems it causes. Hopefully will get help with my mental health and right diagnosis and treatment. Happy Christmas. Anna

Family dynamics can make you or break you.

That's a very good point, Mia. Sometimes one wonders if one's family can either be source of support or potentially damaging to one's mental wellbeing.

In the last 15 months, I've been been diagnosed with both ADHD and ASD. I suspected one but not both conditions. I've given up discussing this with immediate family members. They just deny it.

Instead, I focus on these diagnoses as an explanation and, crucially, a plan for help: either self-help or medical help.

That's a very good point, Mia. Sometimes one wonders if one's family can either be source of support or potentially damaging to one's mental wellbeing.

In the last 15 months, I've been been diagnosed with both ADHD and ASD. I suspected one but not both conditions. I've given up discussing this with immediate family members. They just deny it.

Instead, I focus on these diagnoses as an explanation and, crucially, a plan for help: either self-help or medical help.

Excellent plan and hope you find some help and support soon.

Thank you for writing this.it almost reflects perfectly to my own experience, Not knowing was hard work, almost like having to walk 1.5 miles whilst others had to walk 1 mile... and now I know I have aspergers its like I have to do the same but walking it "knowing that I have to" rather than " it seems I have to.."

I am a full-time uni student existing and observing my abilities, not sure where it will take me. Anywhere better than stuck inside my own head. University gives me a break from myself my failures and my difficulties.

Welcome Mia. What are you studying?