Sign in to follow this  
Abagley

Coping with mental health issues while having Aspergers

I have Aspergers and Ocd which i got diagnosed at the age of 42. I am now 43 and I have had depression and anxiety since 1996. Now having another appointment with a Physcatrisit to do a assessment to see what else us going on. The mental health can't work out what is wrong with me. They forget to include that I have Aspergers and that affects me. I am exhausted all the time processing information and trying with conversations not too interrupt. Taking turns in conversations and trying to do eye contact. I am trying to cope with my sensory overload. It's also very difficult because I do a lot of sewing to block my depression and negative thoughts, I then do too much and now my left elbow tendon is damaged. I am seeing a surgeon soon to see if can do an operation. I am in constant pain which makes me more depressed. My family don't try and understand my diagnosis. My mother and son are really trying to understand me. I live in a world where people treat me like a alien. People with Cancer are accepted more. I am trying to educate others about my Autism. I do have friends. Before my diagnosis people took advantage of my money because I was too kind. I have to be careful now who I trust. It makes my anxiety worse. I still don't know why I am so depressed. Mental health having a meeting with me in January to discuss what help I need. My gp has referred me for a appointment soon with physcatrisit to see what else is happening. It is very difficult coping with mental health and having Aspergers. I do a lot of art, sewing, photography and card making which i enjoy. My social worker said I can change my thoughts. I am not sure that is right.I would love to work will have to get my mental health well first and my elbow better. I wish society would see what damage and discrimination they do. I am proud to be a Aspie and I do care for others. I love my son and mother.

"They forget to include that I have Aspergers and that affects me".

This is the trouble I'm having too. My autism affects avery single aspect of my life, and it must be taken into account by all mental health professionals. I fear so many simple don't understand it, and if we allow them to ignore it, whatever therapy we get could have the opposite effect.

"I am trying to cope with my sensory overload. It's also very difficult because I do a lot of sewing to block my depression and negative thoughts, I then do too much..."

Same here. I use my intellect to distract me, but I fear I'm losing it. My brain simply can't cope with the sheer volume of information any more, not to mention my daily panic attacks and sensory overload. I now do a little mosaic work which helps calm me, and I may well take up sewing again.

"I live in a world where people treat me like a alien. I am trying to educate others about my Autism".

Me too, I'm ever aware of being different - and educating others only works if they're prepared to be educated. I find that many aren't, including some of my relatives.

"Before my diagnosis people took advantage of my money because I was too kind. I have to be careful now who I trust. It makes my anxiety worse".

Oh yes! I know exactly what you mean. I've been taken advantage of like that all my life. Even now I still find it hard not to trust people. My being 'too kind' has led me into some very stressful situations. Could your depression be existential depression? Mine is, but I never realised until recently.

"It is very difficult coping with mental health and having Aspergers".

It ties my mind in knots and I feel on the verge of insanity at times. And all because the NT world can't be bothered to understand me and accept me for who I am.

"My social worker said I can change my thoughts. I am not sure that is right".

Nor me. Social workers seem to know very little about our condition. If they're unreasonable negative thoughts, then I believe we we can change them. Sometimes I feel that those who can help us most are other Aspies, for we're more likely to understand each other.

"I wish society would see what damage and discrimination they do".

If only! It's been horrific in my life - and all that damage takes its toll on our mental health.

"I am proud to be a Aspie and I do care for others".

Me too, very, and I being so caring has often led to my downfall. Even so I wouldn't want to be selfish, cold and inhuman like so many NTs prove themselves to be - once they've used me and dumped me.