Abagley

Coping with mental health issues while having Aspergers

I have Aspergers and Ocd which i got diagnosed at the age of 42. I am now 43 and I have had depression and anxiety since 1996. Now having another appointment with a Physcatrisit to do a assessment to see what else us going on. The mental health can't work out what is wrong with me. They forget to include that I have Aspergers and that affects me. I am exhausted all the time processing information and trying with conversations not too interrupt. Taking turns in conversations and trying to do eye contact. I am trying to cope with my sensory overload. It's also very difficult because I do a lot of sewing to block my depression and negative thoughts, I then do too much and now my left elbow tendon is damaged. I am seeing a surgeon soon to see if can do an operation. I am in constant pain which makes me more depressed. My family don't try and understand my diagnosis. My mother and son are really trying to understand me. I live in a world where people treat me like a alien. People with Cancer are accepted more. I am trying to educate others about my Autism. I do have friends. Before my diagnosis people took advantage of my money because I was too kind. I have to be careful now who I trust. It makes my anxiety worse. I still don't know why I am so depressed. Mental health having a meeting with me in January to discuss what help I need. My gp has referred me for a appointment soon with physcatrisit to see what else is happening. It is very difficult coping with mental health and having Aspergers. I do a lot of art, sewing, photography and card making which i enjoy. My social worker said I can change my thoughts. I am not sure that is right.I would love to work will have to get my mental health well first and my elbow better. I wish society would see what damage and discrimination they do. I am proud to be a Aspie and I do care for others. I love my son and mother.

My social worker said I can change my thoughts.

I think that's the big problem. I finally had my Pre-diagnostic Counselling Session on Tuesday, and it looks like I'm on the right track at last. I was told there's a big problem with ignorance of ASD in most of the medical profession, so it's no wonder you get told rubbish like that. Hopefully I'll eventually get a diagnosis, and if anyone tries that one on me, I'll be armed with the ammunition to show them how ignorant they are.

All my life I've been told that I'll "grow out of it", or "never mind, things will work out", or have dealt with "experts" who are trying to "cure" me. In fact, I don't think there's anything that needs "curing" (except the rest of the world :lol:). It's how I was born, it's not a disorder, just a difference. But because we're different, society dumps so much **** on us that it drives us nuts.

Over the last few months I've been working on my newly discovered problem with Executive Function. Rather than trying to cure it, I'm trying to deal with it in ways I've picked up from reading up on Aspergers. In other words, I'm taking the attitude that I need to adapt my life to live with how I am, rather than what I seem to have been doing for 60 years, which is trying to adapt to be like everyone else. And it seems to be working.

I am worried about my appointment with Physcatrisit as I have depression and anxiety. I was diagnosed with Aspergers and Ocd in October 2014. I want a proper answer to why I am still depressed and if I any other mental illness. My mum just can't cope with my mental health. I feel so alone

Confused, EF is a big problem with me too, and I agree the best thing for all of us is to be ourselves, and stop acting neurotypical. It causes no end of problems. Just because some of us are so good at 'passing for normal', more and more demands are put upon us that we simply can't cope any more, and we end up having 'burnout' - a breakdown.

Abagley - depression and anxiety are so very common among Aspies, and I find they're entirely due to the way the world treats us - unfairly and without even trying to understand. You're not alone. There are so many of us having the same difficulties, and we need to support one another. I'm fast losing faith in the 'professionals'.